Another switcher here - with many thanks!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jarman74, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

Hi all! :D

Today at 11.18 AM CET I received my very first Mac ever and I'd like to share this joy with you guys. My very last PC ever was an almost 6 year old single core Athlon 64 FX-51 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 111GB HDD, ATI HD 2600, Realtek AC97. As you can imagine, this puppy is completely blowing me away!

Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
    8GB of 800MHz DDR2 ECC fully buffered DIMM
    500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
    Two 16x SuperDrives (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB
    Logitech® Z-5500 Digital (4 satellites, 1 center channel, 1 subwoofer)
    Logitech® QuickCam® Vision Pro for Mac®
    Samsung SyncMaster T260HD - LCD display - TFT - 25.5"
    Das Keyboard Ultimate
    Snow Leopard 10.6.1, Windows XP Professional SP3

I work as a software localizator and in the next few years my new machine will be busy analyzing massive documents with huge translation memories; it will also reduce my map compiling times tremendously with the Source SDK's Hammer level editor and it will be as helpful for analyzing chess games with Rybka, a multi-processor engine. These are all incredibly time-consuming tasks that often require many hours, even days :p

I would like to sincerely thank all the Mac experts and the regulars here who helped me a great deal to making my decision ;)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. tribe3 macrumors 6502

3. Jarman74 thread starter macrumors regular

Jarman74

I already do :D

Most of what I do is still Windows-centric, but I think I will lean more on the Mac side as soon as I start developing for the iPhone.

Thanks for your comment ;)

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Very nice computer! Do you mind me asking how much you payed for it all up?

*btw, I noticed the GPU in your old computer was the same as the stock GPU in your new one :p

5. Jarman74 thread starter macrumors regular

Jarman74

As one of the people who helped me (the last post here is yours!), you are welcome - and you'll find the converted prices below :D

Computer € 2,999 (5,050.92 AUD)
    Video card € 439.95 (740.97 AUD)
    Speakers € 399.95 (673.6 AUD)
    Webcam € 99.95 (168.34 AUD)

You should add about 340 AUD for the memory I got separately (the price was just insane on the App Store).

I decided to keep my "old" monitor and keyboard for the time being - they are both only a few months old.

Actually the stock GPU in my refurb was a 8800 GT ;) I think I will keep it just in case something goes wrong with the GTX 285.

Thanks again for your help, mate!