Another Temperature Thread....Please Respond

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Aug 30, 2011.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I got my MacBook Pro (2.2 i7) on launch day back in February. It always seems like it runs very hot. For example, just as I'm posting this on Safari in OS X Lion (quit all other programs) it is running at 49C with smcFanControl keeping the speeds up (6200RPM). I do have a Speck SeeThru Satin on, so it may trap a little heat. But I had it off for a while (just put the case back on today since I'll be traveling more with my MBP this week and I want the protection) and the temps seem to be the same. Should I take it to the Genius Bar and ask for a reapplication of thermal paste? Yes, I can do it myself. But I don't wanna risk any ESD when if the store does it its their fault and their responsibility to replace. Thanks for any responses!

Note: I turned off smcFanControl and after about 2-3 minutes temps are 57C

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

um 49 degrees isn't much for an intel processor in a laptop especially the Macbook Pro. Safari is one of the more memory intensive programs and can sometimes heat up your macbook a bit but not enough to worry about. Your macbook will automatically shut down at around 100 degrees, that's when it's actually "too hot."

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

haha dont worry man.
    Im just using safari and its on 59C running at 1997rpm.
    No worries. Intel CPUs get hot but doesnt affect it.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's pretty normal, I'd say. My computer, which has a significantly cooler processor is doing 51C with the fan at 1500 RPM. Nothing to worry about

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

my 2.0 quad core runs around 40C with Firefox (4-5 tabs), and a few other apps open. it runs very cool in my opinion. i do use gfxcardstatus to force the integrated GPU

6. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. I wasn't sure since I saw in another thread that their's MBP was running at 40-45C. It was only down to 49C with the fans turned to max. As soon as I let it sort everything out on it own, temps got closer to 60C

7. negativzero macrumors 6502

Sandybridges are well known to be power hungry nuclear heat generating processors. Its normal that they run from anywhere between 40-60C. Don't worry its fine.

8. darkmaxdevil macrumors member

[​IMG]
    this is what i'm running right now. i have two tab safari, iTunes, Xcode and mail open and i still not concern because it still doesn't feel too hot and as long as it still functional i'm fine with it.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

all these temps are completely acceptable. Mine almost always runs like that... keep in mind the fact that you have a processor powerful enough to make steam for a nuclear reactor inside your computer.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your temps are perfectly fine without SMC fan control.

Why do people on these boards obsess so much over temperatures?

11. wpotere, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

wpotere Guest

FYI, if your Macbook gets too hot, it will shutdown. ;) No need to worry about temps...

12. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

49C @ 2000 RPM would seem more reasonable if ur running just the OS and safari.

49C @ 6200 RPM while running safari and OS is high.

check this thread out:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105643&highlight=

13. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Normal. If anything turn your min fan down to 2k RPM. No need to have it that high. Your fan could be running at 10k rpm and that temp would not get much lower. Its also has to do with what you MBP is sitting on and the ambient air temperature.

Oh I wish these threads would stop. Its only a problem if you computer shuts down by itself because its too hot.

14. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

i have a MBP 2.0 i7 and with the dGPU turned off i idle between 50-60C depending on what im doing, the fans stay at 2k. the only time i set my fan speed to anything but default is when im using handbrake to encode a movie and then i set them to 6K, this keeps the temps below 80C on average.

15. escogido macrumors member

I would say that's hot, I'm running 2.3GHz early 2011 MBP, with reapplied TP, at 3500rpm my temp is 37C with integrated graphics forced to be used, ambient temp is 22C. So, to answer your question, I'd get the TP replaced (either do it yourself or the store).