Another Tesla crash

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Mildredop, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

As more people are using the confusingly-named Autopilot (which isn't an autopilot), so we're seeing more crashes.

The woman was on her phone which I'm not surprised about - if my car didn't need any input from me for extended periods of time, my attention would naturally drift elsewhere.

Tesla say you must keep your hands on the wheel at all times. If that's the case, why not simply drive the car as you normally would?

I don't think fully-automated cars will become a reality for many decades yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-china-crash-idUSKCN10L0P4

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. C DM, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like fully automated cars are different enough compared to what is involved here. And in this case what is involved seems to also be misunderstanding and essentially incorrect use of something.

4. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Incorrect use how? By the driver not paying attention? I agree, but humans have a short attention span. Take the action of driving away from them and, understandably, the driver will start to do other things.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Incorrect use as it wasn't meant to be and wasn't/isn't a self-driving system, while that is what it was being used like.

6. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't think anyone would ever use it correctly. Humans are human and they get distracted or, at the very least, start to daydream.

Tesla is asking the driver to be fully alert whilst not actually expecting them to drive. They're expecting the driver to react just as quickly and take over control to avoid a problem the car hasn't spotted which just isn't going to end well.

If Tesla are saying "Autopilot" still requires the driver to be fully alert and aware, with their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times, why bother using the "Autopilot" function at all?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Extra safety to enhance what the driver normally does?

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

No sympathy for a programmer who did not RTFM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.