Another thought on why UK has not yet shipped...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by twynne, Sep 17, 2007.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

Admittedly speculation is probably pointless, but...

If Tuesday's London announcement is iPhone-related, maybe they're intentionally holding the UK orders to allow time for customers to cancel their Touch order if they wish to wait for the iPhone to become available in the UK. This could make sense rather than having hundreds (or more) people suddenly returning devices after they realise they can have the iPhone instead.

Thoughts?

2. MaTiCeK macrumors member

No, I don't think so. If this was true, other EU countries would have got it already, because not every country in the EU is getting the iPhone. We haven't even heard anything about iPhone comming to Italy, Spain, Austria or the Scandinavian countries. So my bet is no.
    It always takes a week or so for iPods to cross the pound.

But I agree with you, that it is very convinient for the british, german and french people to get a clear date for iPhone before they can even buy the Touch.

3. MeWhOeLsE macrumors member

I've gotta think it has something to do with all the screen problems they're having. I think we would have got it a bit quicker if it'd rolled out perfectly in the US.

I genuinely think that there's no set release date at the moment and its not a conspiracy or anything... I think when the stock levels permit another country then it will be released there. (no evidence for that... just my own thoughts)

4. Neo-Dragon macrumors newbie

I dont understand what the confussion is... :s
    I have a preorder for the UK and it says clearly on the site that it's not shipping until the 28th of september.
    Thats just when it will be on the market in the UK. The U.S got it first and thats when we get it.

5. MeWhOeLsE macrumors member

The US also had the 28th as the date... If they're getting it early... the UK has a chance too

6. ibookowner2005 macrumors newbie

I have to agree that the US stores got lucky. I cant really see the iPod touch instores before the 28th.

My reason for apple releasing iPod touch early in some retail stores in the US is because it is sort of a "soft launch" or "soft preview". Let me explain...

Everyone knows that a huge percentage have been ordered online, from when they previewed the product to current day. Im sure Apple want to get this product right as its the first multi touch iPod. So... what better way of getting peoples reactions that to release a small proportion into the public.

I mean come on, if this product had "OFFICIALLY" been relased, ive been hearing on the forums that some stores recieved 5 indervidual iPod touches, or just the 16GB's or just the 8GB's. Thats not a launch! Thats not even a shelf full of iPods for one store :)

If this was a launch of a product, id say its a pretty rubbish one. So what im trying to say is, when pre-orders start shipping expect the stores through the US to the UK to be full of iPod touches... unless they sell out:rolleyes:

Aside from what i just said, ive also heard reports of people calling the Apple store Regent street, and being told that "expect them sometime next week". If Apple is infact releasing small numbers of the iPod touch into the UK, and what the Apple employee said is true, id say anywhere from thursday or friday onwards they might get a small batch... fingers crossed :)

Anybody agree or disagree with what ive said?

7. MeWhOeLsE macrumors member

Well to an extent I do... you mentioned the small amounts they are getting... but they're getting them most days from what I've been hearing. Also Best buy has them...

To be honest I don't know what to make of this launch... Might be no strategy at all... Might just not have enough stock adn are having to rush it out when they can in some hope that there will be enough at the end of the month... Who knows?!

8. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's no 'confusion' - only irritation that clearly the US is getting a significant number of these before those of us that 'pre-ordered'. My order, for one, hasn't changed in status at all and it was placed on 6th September.

9. Neo-Dragon macrumors newbie

Oh ok. I didn't know that the Touch had a 28th of Sep. U.S shipdate on it as well.
    But again, I cant see any being shipped to the UK until that date or early october.

10. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I must admit to being a bit fed up with the whole "US first" mentality (and that's not anti-American, I happen to BE American... I just don't live there). One of these days companies will start to realise that the market will start to find ways to correct these inequalities.

A good example is the release of films and TV series to the US first - international viewers will just download them after they've aired in the US. Result: Loss of revenue for studios and everyone else involved in the chain.

Of course, it doesn't really hurt Apple is international buyers decide to buy their goods from the US and have them shipped. It will have an effect though if buyers lose confidence and/or stop buying.

11. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

I don't think its so much a US first mentality as it is a matter of logistics. When you release a product, it has to be tested both to ensure it operates correctly and to meet specific regulations, which vary from country to country. When you develop a product to be marketed internationally, you also have to develop for multiple languages.

For media (tv shows, movies, etc), it has to be rated by the appropriate ratings body. For tv shows, negotiations have to be made with broadcasters to air it. For movies, advertising and promotion has to be put into place.

For all of these things, to do it world-wide is going to significantly delay the release of the product/media.

I also think the gap between US and International releases has been significantly reduced in recent years, and will likely continue to shrink.

Finally, (back on topic!), the iPod touch is really only in a limited release right now - Americans who've pre-ordered aren't even receiving them yet, the only way to pick them up is to head to a store. Apple has given a Sept. 28 release date for both the US and the UK, apparently, so how much closer can they get? Even were you not to receive it until a month later, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Hell, even here in Canada we see products later than the US does (and in the case of the iPhone, apparently later than the rest of the world as well - if ever).

12. jockmock macrumors regular

If those iPod's were tested and still sent off, that would be awful