Another thread about 5s battery life ... slightly different

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Max(IT), Apr 16, 2014.

1. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There are many threads about battery life of Apple's flagship, and the topic is controversial: people are very happy, while other people are disappointed.
    I'm quite happy about it, and since I have two different smartphone, I tried a little game.
    I used both in the same exact way during a whole typical day, trying to exactly duplicate every activity done.
    I charged both phones in the evening, unplugging them at about 24:00, and then I started my day at 6:30 as usual.
    Here how my Lumia 925 and my iPhone 5s have behaved.

07:00
    iPhone 100%
    Lumia 93%

basically just standby time, with a little overnight drain for the Lumia and none for the iPhone (Lumia has the tap-to-wake up option on, so maybe this is draining the battery a little more even when not used).

09:00
    iPhone 100%
    Lumia 88%

A few mail checked, a few text and whatsapp messages. The iPhone still holds a full charge.

13:45
    iPhone 86%
    Lumia 74%

Just a couple of shot phone calls, 20 minutes of music listening and one hour of aero mode (I was on an airplane).

17:45
    iPhone 76%
    Lumia 57%

More heavy work ... Web browsing, a couple of phone calls , several whatsapp messages.

20:00
    iPhone 67%
    Lumia 51%

Mainly mails and whatsapp, plus a web search on Wikipedia.

21:40
    iPhone 55%
    Lumia 40%

Out for dinner with my elder son ... A couple of phone calls, some texts and a little web browsing (sports news).

23:00
    iPhone 38%
    Lumia 20%

Back home ... Mainly email and web browsing, all via wifi connection, after a little gps navigation (about 30-40 minutes) in my car.

At the end of the day, the iPhone proves to be better, but both reached the target (one day without recharge on a typical usage, without gaming).
    Keep in mind that on both phones I have almost every service activated, since I don't like to disable functionalities on my devices (I paid money for them :D), with wifi always on and bt always off.
    Network coverage was quite good, but not LTE (I have LTE enabled only on the iPhone, so I keep both on 3G to have a right comparison).

Your thoughts ?

2. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Don't use background refresh with Facebook and your sweet. I don't have Facebook anyway so I haven't had a battery issue but I can make up to 60 calls a day and she'll go flat, but so would other phones.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Seems like a pretty decent test for both devices with regards to battery. Did you makes sure to compare background apps and push notifications on both before starting so they'd be on an even playing field? Unless that's what you meant at the end when you said you keep "every service enabled"

4. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Yep, background app refresh is enabled on both phones for almost every app installed.
    Both phones have the same gmail mailbox configured, almost all location services and so on ....