another tiger-kills-a-person who entered their area

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Now, this is a new story so maybe something is missing to give them the benefit of doubt, but 2 things stare out at me:

1. being lazy and wanting to take a shortcut (maybe not that bad, but when related to #2...not the best choice)

2. thinking the signs warning about predatory animals wasn't true 'b/c they didn't see any'??!?!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2009/03/08/8668571-ap.html

I'm a superstitious person and sometimes hesitate to post stories like this b/c i wonder if i'm jinxing myself, but if i end up doing something so silly.......

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Caution: Please don't feed yourself to the tigers, uncooked people give them gas.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

So they see the sign warning of predatory animals and don't believe it because they did not see a predatory animal? Sad, but ignorance has its price. :rolleyes:

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Skiing outside of maintained areas is not unreasonable. Back country skiers and mountaineers by definition do things outside of maintained areas. But the big difference is in training and experience. Anyone who goes out in wilderness areas of the mountains in winter needs to know how to recognize avalanche areas and how to test the snow conditions (by digging a trench and so on) and how to carry and use rescue equipment (radios and shovels and poles.)

Just the other week end I was with a group out in the snow listens to a short talk about avalanches. A couple "good chutes" were pointed out and he said a good way to recognize avalanche chutes is that they look like something a skier would like. Good angle, no trees and so on.

6. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Evolution in action. Or, as they call it, "thinning the herd."

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The guy must have tasted good enough to stuff into a doggy bag for snacks later, if the tiger didn't want to let go.

After the tiger finishes with the first meal, they should ask the other two to jump back in and tell them the tiger is still hungry... and it isn't nice manners to dangle a snack in front of a tiger and yank it away.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

You might be right Chris. I'll admit that I've never been skiing that way before, but with so many deaths this year, I would think ppl wouldn't. I get that ppl like the activity.

Maybe I need to try it to fully understand (although I won't :)

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think you turned left, when you should have turned right. :confused:

11. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Natural selection in action!!!

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nothing natural about that dinner selection, too many preservatives, chemical name sounding ingredients, and hormones inside to consider most people organic.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

One less idiot in the world.

I feel sorry for his family, but seriously, why would you jump into a clearly labelled Tiger area "just because he couldn't see any".

Natural selection.

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

That's actually true. The majority of Americans could not legally be sold to cannibals because our tissues would never pass USFDA meat inspections. Of course it's meant as a joke but it really is true. It turns out that farmers take much better care what they feed their cows then what we feed ourselves. Even worse a large percentage of women's breast milk would not meet the standards to be sold as dairy product. To many chemicals in it, not fit for human consumption, at least be US government standards. Again farmers are very carful about their cows not letting them eat (say) tuna that contains mercury or whatever. There are few cannibals around so the first problem is moot but there are many babies so the second is not.

We have to watch what we toss in the trash. That stuff goes into land fills then it rains over the land fill and the water sinks into the ground, is pumped up and used to water crops and gets into tomatoes, rice and cotton plants or whatever.

It used to be, decades ago, that you really could throw trash away. But not there is no "away" any more.