Another Time Capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cibbersicks, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Cibbersicks macrumors member

Cibbersicks

I'm a UK user, currently using BT's broadband service wherby they provide you with a wireless modem/router.
    I've had my Time Capsule set up alongside this BTHH ("BT Homehub") for some time, using the TC as my wireless router, and the BTHH for the Internet connection.

Basically I want to try and get rid of the BTHH as it's very big, awkward and cumbersome set up next to my TC. I understand that the TC has no modem, so if you wish to use it as a wireless router you need to connect it to a modem of some description, but I want a modem that A. Doesn't emit a wireless signal or has one that can be switched off. B. Small and unobtrusive. And C. Has decent performance. Can someone please recommend one or let me know what setup they use?

As I use BT broadband service, will it still work properly with a 3rd party modem?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As with all of these kinds of services it is hard to replace the router without the ISP's cooperation. (Especially since the Apple routers don't support MAC address cloning).

However you can apparently disable wireless on the BTTH (google "bt home hub disable wireless"). Stick it under the desk or in a closet if you don't want to see it.

B

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm not familiar w/BT but in the US, I have very limited modem options, if any, from the provider and have to run the Airport/TC as a bridge off this device. I think your first call should be to BT and see what other modems they offer and/or support?