Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
When backing up using time machine can you set to to backup external drives connected to the Mac as well. I'm quickly running out of room thanks to my photography so need to shift my photos to an external drive, but I'd obviously like a back up of this too. At present I drag and drop recent files if I want to copy/back them up to another external drive, but I'd like to back up an external drive in the same way as time machine backs up my Mac, ie automatically detects the changes and backs these up.

Any info appreciated.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No you can't that I am aware of. I've wanted to do the same and there is no option to include drives that are not the primary OS X drive. Only options to exclude folders are there.

Maybe there is a hack out there that could enable that, but I don't know.

You should probably look at using a different backup utility that will allow you to include the external drives.

Forget everything I wrote!

Last edited:

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
No you can't that I am aware of. I've wanted to do the same and there is no option to include drives that are not the primary OS X drive. Only options to exclude folders are there.

Maybe there is a hack out there that could enable that, but I don't know.

You should probably look at using a different backup utility that will allow you to include the external drives.

OK thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When backing up using time machine can you set to to backup external drives connected to the Mac as well. I'm quickly running out of room thanks to my photography so need to shift my photos to an external drive, but I'd obviously like a back up of this too. At present I drag and drop recent files if I want to copy/back them up to another external drive, but I'd like to back up an external drive in the same way as time machine backs up my Mac, ie automatically detects the changes and backs these up.

Any info appreciated.

Yes you can. What happens is external drives are automatically added to the exclude list under Time Machine Options so they do not get backed up. So what you need to do is attach an external then go to the exclude pane and drag it out. You will be all set.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes you can. What happens is external drives are automatically added to the exclude list under Time Machine Options so they do not get backed up. So what you need to do is attach an external then go to the exclude pane and drag it out. You will be all set.

No kidding! I never realized that could be done. :eek:

Learning has occurred! Thanks. :)

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012

Great thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.