Another Time Machine thread

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nuck81, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I recently swapped out my PS3 hard drive. I bought a 2TB Seagate GoFlex to use as an External Hard Drive for both the PS3 and my Mac.

Went to Disk Utility and formatted 2 partitions one for the Mac and one for the PS3.

I formatted the Mac side as Mac OS Journal and PS3 as FAT32. Everything is great so far.

Backed up the PS3 first, no sweat. Swapped Hard Drives, restored my PS3, I'm happy now I have a new PS3 with a beefy hard drive, awesome.

Plug the Seagate back in to Mac so Time Machine can do its thing. Time Machine will do nothing but ask me when I want to restore from despite me never running a back up.

So I thought, well maybe it didn't like my Mac OS Journal. Since my PS3 is being cool I decided I would repartition with the Mac side being free space and the PS3 being FAT. I would just back up the PS3 again later.

Did that. Now Time Machine only sees the PS3 partition and won't recognize the free space.

Back to square 1.

So comes the question to Mac Rumors.

What do I do to Back up my Mac??

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Free space cannot be used. You must use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine

3. Nuck81 thread starter macrumors regular

It's going now.

Thanks HellHammer.

Thread can be closed