Another 'Too Good to be True' E-Bay Item?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NipponRob, Feb 21, 2008.

1. NipponRob macrumors newbie

I rarely use e-bay, and have read up on various red lights to look out for, but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether or not This auction is a scam. The seller accepts paypal, which seems like a good sign, but the price seems low.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Looks legit to me, but expect the bids to keep coming. It does say Operating System not included. Not sure what that means.

3. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Seller has good feedback. But there are still 10 hours to go and I could see that final price easily going up a lot. If its that low with say 15mins left you might have quite a deal but I doubt it will.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It seems okay, shoot him an email to get clarification on what he means by no Operating System included though - unless he's lost the restore disks, I see no reason not to include them.

5. Dan Uff macrumors newbie

Too good to be true - Maybe

If the description didn't say "BRAND NEW", then I would say it was probably a real auction. I'd also be wery about the seller's feedback rating.

-Dan Uff

6. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Yeah in hindsight brand new but no operating system seems to be contradictory. I would ask some more questions of the seller.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

It says "Operating System Apple MacOS X 10.4". What else do you guys want? I don't see this "operating system not included" stuff anywhere in the description of the item.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Wary about the feedback rating?

A quick look at his feedback shows that the items he sells are electronics such as PS3's, a few Macs and iPods.

Feedback seems fine to me.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Ummm...

Attached Files:

• os.PNG
      os.PNG
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

If you look....

At the bottom of his list, (in the yellow area),, it says near the end: 10.4 as an OS

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Notice it also says "New, Sealed in Box" which would lead me to believe it was re-shrinkwraped.

Didn't we have a poster complain about getting jumped by a CL buyer and it was regarding a MBP and he also posted in other thread how to re-shrink products? I think it was an iPhone?

New, Sealed in Box but no OS included? Sorry, new sealed in box DOES come with an OS, so this has to be re-shrunk which would tech be true and yet false description.

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yeah, I'd say there's all kinds of wrong in that auction.

First, he has a conflicting summary and item description - then he posts a picture of some other MBP and the "sealed" box....Who knows if the box pics are his/her own??? Or did (s)he take it out of the box, which would mean it's not sealed in box...

I'd stay away, and I expect all the bidding to happen in the last 10mins

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The picture of MBP in use is actually printed on the box. The pictures included are 3 sides of the box.

He sold at least another at $1490 on Feb-12-08. If that's true then it's not bad, as the refurb price is currently $1,699.00.

But how come it's brand new, where did he get them for that price?

Attached Files:

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

:eek: need to get my eyes checked, I'll blame the PC monitor I have to look at all day :)

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Personally, I never buy second hand laptops without going round and checking them over first. There's bound to be someone selling local to you.

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

ometimes that just pops up as i use garage sale and get that sometimes...

17. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

First if it's real the operating system is 10.4 not 10.5 so if it's new sealed in box you are buying old stock. This would also mean a max of 3gig or ram. So if what he means about no operating system is that no leopard upgrade disk included that's another $150 so this isn't that great of a deal for a last generation system.

18. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

It says 2.2GHz but in the other part of the description it says Core Duo. 2.2 GHz would be C2D.

19. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I always start my auctions really low to gain interest in them and gets people to add to the watchlist and then go crazy at last minute. Just my way though, maybe the seller is doing the same thing?

20. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Personally I wouldn't go for it on items like this unless you can physically check it over first.