Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strange days

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
Norse Son said:
Right now I pay about $95 bucks a month for Time Warner basic cable & hi-speed internet. And it royally sucks to be paying about half that for the tv part, when most of the stuff is pure crap. The (US) FCC & Congress are going to start talking about ala carte pricing for cable & sat. tv, which is fine by me, because I avoid the "Networks" (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, UPN, WB...) with their "retard-reality" love-fest [I only tune in during the NFL season]...

However, the ala carte solution wouldn't work: it is for picking the channels you want, not just the programs you want. And in the past couple years even the basic cable channels I watch "dipped their snouts in the reality trough"... History, Discovery, Learning, Bravo, Sci-Fi, etc. - they are just reeking with that crap.

Here are my suggestions to Apple:
• Widen the choices beyond just the Networks (and BSG, Monk, etc.).
• Have a fee of, say, $15.00 per month for the present bit-rate on a subscription model (streaming video - all you can watch)... And $2.50-3.00 (more for feature-length & miniseries) per download for a higher bit-rate that you "own" (your computer and iPod/vPod, and a security-backup copy allowed on DVD-R?
• At MWSF '06 intro the following:
•• vPod - basically an "iPod with video", but featuring S-ATA 80/100/120GB drive-choices, 802.11g or (if ratified) 802.11n WiFi, and a 5.5" screen... It would be about the size of a 150-200 page paperback novel...
•• iMac DVR 20" or 23" - wishful thinking - with 2.1GHz Yonah dual-core and Front Row 2.0 (with TV/DVR functions), plus what was in the recent upgrade...
•• "BIG mini" - not a replacement, but an expansion of the mini-line (I think the present mini will get single-core Yonah in May-timeframe). It would have much the same specs as Yonah iMac, sans display & iSight...
•• iLife '06 with Front Row 2.0 (DVR functions) and Bluetooth remote...
•• .Mac makeover to include a "premium-level", where members who pay, say, $150.00 per year would have access to a "Global iTMS", wherein they can preview and pay/download music, tv shows, music videos, animated shorts, short films, etc. from ANY of the International versions of iTMS, regardless of country... Apple would handle the currency exchange for their "premium" members...

If Apple did that - especially the last part, with .Mac Premium and a Global iTMS - then I'd drop my basic cable and just keep the high speed internet. Then I could download just the shows I wanted to watch, and no more ads or shows about whiny & needy reality tv 'tards...

second that :D ...and come out with a 480x360 or 640x480 version of the iPod current 2006 ( larger screen ? ), so that when people want to DL decent rez movies they can watch them on the big screen...

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
If people cared so much about watching films on the go, why haven't portable DVD players been selling better?

Norse Son

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
Under Uncle Sam's Thumb
arn said:
Correction...

Reportedly Microsoft's service will be a Movie service, not a TV one.

though I see value in a TV one.

arn

• That sounds to me like pay-per-view, like video-on-demand... And that sounds like the "Billie & Steve Circus" is not afraid to step on the toes of the big cable companies...

• I 'spose it works through the xBox 360... hehehehehe... Imagine watching Backdraft on the 360 and not knowing what's a special effect and what's real flames until the fire dept. has to pry the controller from your charred paws in order to prep you to get skin grafts at the hospital.

Alright, so I stretched the imagination a bit, but it "plays well on public access...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Tapping feet, patiently waiting for iTunes TV shows in Oz. Will be more excited when I can get some BBC docos from iTunes. Nothing on there now really piques my interest, except maybe the 2nd season of Lost, we have to wait until February I think to get that on Channel 7.

Having the shows online here would be great because most of the networks have decided that Thursday night is ratings night and it's also one of my main work nights so I never get to see anything.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Chundles said:
Tapping feet, patiently waiting for iTunes TV shows in Oz. Will be more excited when I can get some BBC docos from iTunes. Nothing on there now really piques my interest, except maybe the 2nd season of Lost, we have to wait until February I think to get that on Channel 7.

Having the shows online here would be great because most of the networks have decided that Thursday night is ratings night and it's also one of my main work nights so I never get to see anything.
Me too-I'm still waiting to be able to download Lost. I'd love to see some Nicktoons Networks shows (http://www.nicktoonsnetwork.com) such as Invader Zim, Catscratch, The X's on the iTMS. Some of their videos are in QT format

Also, I'm pleased to see that Commander in Chief was added.

nicbrisbane

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2006
Killeen, TX
SubscribeCast??

sw26 said:
Speaking of pay subscription --
I was doing searches to see if there was anything out there for subscribing to stuff like TV shows, Loveline, etc and stumbled upon this thread and then this site --
http://www.subscribecast.com
Anyone have any info on this or know anything more beyond the scant details provided?

I also came across SubscribeCast while looking for a way to fund a podcast that is currently in production. I would like to steer away from the imbedded advertisement route. I've visited the website, but was wondering if anyone else has checked them out. Besides their website I haven't heard much about them. Any thoughts??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.