another tweak for firefox 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Mar 4, 2008.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

nglayout.initialpaint.delay is a pref for firefox to render page w/o waiting (there is a 250ms waiting by default)

reducing that number will get page loading even faster (consider firefox 3 is already quite impressive).

(Mozilla KB says this might increase the total amount of time need for page loading, so you can try out and decide for yourself if you want to keep it.

1. type "about:config" in url bar and press enter, accept waring if you are using firefox 3
    2. right click anywhere inside the browser, and choose "new->integer"
    3. type in nglayout.initialpaint.delay for "preference name"
    4. type in "0" for value

if you want to restore to default, just double click that entry, it will erase the value. If you want to completely remove the string, you will need to go into your profile folder and find pref.js and remove the corresponding line.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks! :) I'll try this out on my Eee -- I don't have FF3 on my Mac.

It seems like a trick like this surfaces with basically every browser. I wonder why they don't just make it a preference option whether you get immediate rendering or faster complete loading?

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

its a very good question. lol i don't know why tho. :D

fasterfox has this setting as one of the optimizations (others are enable pipling and increase request to servers).

the internet connection speed is so fast nowadays. maybe some old settings need to be re-evaluated...