Another upcoming Pro accessory: Silicone Smart Case

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nagromme, Sep 9, 2015.

1. nagromme, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

FWIW, I don't see Apple mentioning it anywhere else, but the Apple Pencil page mentions the charge connector being able to fit even with the iPad Pro's "Silicone Case." (A smart cover or smart keyboard would not matter: those don't cover the Lightning port.)

So an Apple Silicone Case must be another upcoming accessory.

I hope it's like the Air Smart Cases—I like that design, but I don't buy leather.

(And the keyboard, which is not a full-form case, doesn't tempt me much based on price, being thicker on one side when folded behind.)

EDIT: See below: NOT a "Smart Case" probably, just a rear cover (which theoretically has a cut out to be coupled with a keyboard/cover).

2. profets macrumors 68040

If you look on apple.com, you'll see the Silicone Case for the iPad mini 4 (only this model currently). Looks like it's designed to wrap the back of the iPad and leave space for a smart cover to go on as well. All the same colours as the smart covers (and new iPhone silicone cases and Apple Watch sport bands).

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Good catch!

Interesting, so now it's mix-and-match: protect back, front, or both. Not a "Smart Case," more like an iPhone case (plus room for the Cover bought separately).

Makes sense, but I don't like the big exposed edge if you don't have the Cover. And the prices will lead me to 3rd parties instead!

(Now I'm thinking the Pro might not get a NON-keyboard smart cover, which is what I'd rather have: it lies flatter across the back, when you hold the iPad or lay it down flat.)

4. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Once you get the Pro and decide that its really good at creating content, I'm sure you will reconsider the keyboard.

My wife uses a Mini with 3rd party keyboard for almost 90% of her work computer usage. That little keyboard is a godsend.

5. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

I'll likely get a keyboard of some kind, depending on how much writing vs. other work I end up doing, and whether I want to carry it... just not THAT keyboard :)

I already built a web app entirely using my iPad Air: 2 days of code writing, testing, uploading, referring to docs, everything—and I found it worked really well for me with no physical keyboard. Textastic has gestures for programming punctuation, and it was really nice, for a change, to lie back on the couch and work! I wouldn't do it every day—I'm still faster programming on Mac—but for comfort and a change of scene, it was nice to do that "pro" stuff and not NEED a desk or keyboard.