Another upgrade wirth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigaudiofanatic, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

So recently I upgrade my HD to a 250gb one now I am thinking of upgrading the memory from 1 gig to 2. Should I expect much improvement from the performance or would it be a waste of money?
    Again it is a powerbook g4.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

1GB is a bit too little these days.
    RAM isn't too expensive, so if you plan to use the G4 some before scrapping it i'd upgrade it

3. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I want it to last me another 2 years but I think that is asking a lot out of it. As soon as my money situation gets better I will be getting a new one. I just had to upgrade the HD because of all my music.

Were is a good place to buy ram cheap for my laptop?

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Can't help with the RAM but it's certainly refreshing to see somebody trying to keep a good machine going rather than constantly spending truckloads of cash just to always have the latest Apple offering.

5. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man, ya she just keeps on trucking along and works well. Just wanted to see if I could speed her up a tad. I will tell you what if she died tomorrow I would not be mad at all. It has lasted me 5 years with no trouble.

6. SDChargers macrumors newbie

I have had great success with Tigerdirect.com but that is probably because I am at an APO address right now, but I got it quickly...

newegg.com is also a good spot to buy computer products.:apple:

7. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I have delt with both I prefer new egg over tiger direct

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I've noticed that there seems to be a bit of misconception about RAM and its performance boosting powers. If you don't max out your current RAM usage regularly then you will most likely not see any benefits. For example, I recently upgraded from 2 gigs to 4 gigs and really only notice the difference when I use Photoshop or other RAM hungry applications. A quick way to keep track of RAM usage is to open up Activity Monitor. What RAM doesn't do is give you a faster CPU which some people seem to think.

9. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

I already have that utility my cpu maxes out when I am burning disks and such I have really never looked at the memory part. I have notice sense the new version of itunes and over 94 new albums added itunes seems to have slowed down and does not glide when scrolling threw. That is one reason I was thinking about ram.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The best way to tell is not just look at the memory tab of the performance monitor, but look at the page in to page out ratio. You want the page outs to be as low as possible in ration compared to the page ins. How do yours look after regular use?

11. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Just ran a few tests, the memory drops down to 65 MB free while watching a tv show in itunes. :eek:

12. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So you would get an improvement by having more RAM. So since its so cheap I would say go for it. Its not going to be a huge boost but it will help some.

14. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good this paycheck I will take some out for 2gigs of ram. Unless someone has some laying around. :p:apple:

15. cababah macrumors 68000

I do. It was taken out of a Collector's Edition MB though. Not sure if that is compatible.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No, DDR3 will not work in a DDR2 machine. Seriously though, DDR2 is cheap; at least the last time I checked.

17. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

DDR2 won't work in a DDR machine either.
    MY last generation Powerbook had PC2700 DDR ram.

Which version of the G4 do you have?