Another USB Charger Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by gkamieneski, Dec 26, 2008.

1. gkamieneski macrumors newbie

Please forgive a newbie, but I'm just trying to help my son out with his 2G Ipod Touch. I have a Belkin USB wall charger left over from use charging my HP IPaq and I wonder if it will work for the Apple? It was useful charging a Sansa E200 unit. The USB brick says that the output is 5.5VDC at 1A. Does that sound like it is in the range? Also, I have a similar device for the car that I wonder about. Both of these USB devices were used to charge Moto cellphones as well. Any help appreciated.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i wouldn't go there. i would just hook it up to the computer if it needs chargin g or get a wall charger for it. there is one available.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well, to charge the iPod touch, you're going to have to first have a 30-pin connection (like the USB cable that came with it). That would have to be plugged into the power source (whether it be an Apple wall charger, or whatever).

Note that if you're using a third-party product, the voltage on the charger needs to match the voltage for the iPod touch to charge. If I remember correctly, it should be .15 Amps. Note that if you go too high in power, you risk shorting out the unit, and possibly frying the iPod.

4. gkamieneski thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe the white Apple USB charger is listed at 5vdc and 1amp. My HP Ipaq Pocket PC charger is 5.5vdc at 1amp and has the USB connection. I tried it with the Ipod but nothing happened. Sometimes these devices require a special in-line IC in the charger to work. My Moto Razr cellphones require only Moto chargers.

5. gkamieneski thread starter macrumors newbie

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I believe the iPod needs to see a brief handshake on the USB connection, before it will begin charging. Some chargers handle this, and some don't. If your charger has a standard USB socket, then I don't think it would hurt to try it - just no guarantees that it will work...