Another victim of RadeonGate here

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theheilious, Sep 13, 2014.

1. theheilious macrumors newbie

Discovered last night, much to my discontent, that my MBP has a bad external Radeon GPU. After doing a bit of research on my symptoms, I discovered that it is the victim of the massive and now infamous "RadeonGate" and is crashing the system when operating closed lid (external vs integrated GPU). Lovely....

I know there is a temporary workaround to force the integrated to sever both needs but that will crash eventually too.

Any updates from Apple Care about this issue? They know it was the entire product line has bad GPU's...

I'm left wondering what to do next?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I got bummed by Radeongate as well.

Apple isn't going to do jack **** for us. They did offer extended repair programs for the 8600M GT (2008 MBPs) and GT 330M (2010 MBPs), but only because NVIDIA was footing the bill.

AMD isn't about to foot the bill for this one, because Apple did a lousy job applying the thermal paste on the GPU, so AMD isn't going to take the blame.

Your only option is to reball a new GPU into the logic board and reapply the thermal paste on it. Replacement boards from Apple won't work because they all contain the same flaw that causes Radeongate to occur yet again.