Another video issue - macbook pro early 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattscott251, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mattscott251 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have been considering trying to bake my logic board, but wanted to write a post as one last step before doing so, in order to see if there's any other options.

So a few months ago I was using my mac as I normally do (web browser open, itunes open, maybe a couple other programs), when the screen froze. This had happened maybe a couple times in the past few weeks leading up to this point. Each time before I had just restarted and it was fine. This time, when I restarted, there was a strange checkered pattern across the screen and as soon as it got to the point where the system was loading, with the grey screen with apple logo and spinning loading circle, it would freeze and then restart on its own. This was a process that repeated indefinitely.

Here is a picture of what the checkered pattern looks like: cursor is movable. (This is a pic of after option is held down in the start up mode)

[​IMG]

I never got around to taking it to the genius bar since I am living abroad for some time and the language barrier makes things 1000 times more complicated. But I showed it to an authorized repairer close to where I live and he just said it was the video card.

So to sum up: The computer starts, it chimes, it looks for a valid start up file. When it can't find one, it blinks the question mark like it should. When it does find a proper start up file, it freezes and restarts repeatedly. With and without the hard drive it still has that same checkered pattern. I'm willing and able to try the baking method of fixing it, but from what I've seen everyone who tries this has an issue with even getting their computer to chime. So I don't know if this is the same and could possibly be fixed by that. Maybe it's the NVIDEA problem I kept reading about? I have also done every start up key combination I could find: zapping pram, starting in safe mode, etc. None of them worked. Zapping ram changed the pattern a bit but a pattern still came up and the computer still froze.

This is as much info as I can give, since I can't get to my computer's desktop to confirm what I am saying:
    +Macbook pro 17", purchased June 2008. The one before the Unibody model
    +replaced hard drive with a larger seagate model a few months before failure and had transferred data over to it using migration assistant.
    +I think it's the 2.4 GHz model, but am not certain.

Let me know if there's anything I've left out or any more info I can give. Thanks very much for any help and sorry for reposting such a worn out topic!

~Matt

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

nVidia 8600GT. They're quite famous for their failing. A manufacturing error makes all of them (not only in Apple laptops) prone to failing from heat cycling. They all die, some only last longer than others.

Your logic board needs replacing, or if you're brave, reflowing.

Apple ended their extended warranty on that logic board on december 7th, 2012. So you'll have to pay for a brand new logic board out of warranty. Some Apple stores will do it for their flat repair fee (something like $375), while some will make you pay the whole thing ($900 I believe).

3. mattscott251 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to do so!

I baked it in the oven at about 380 F for 7.5 minutes and it did the trick for now. At least I can quickly grab whatever I need without having to buy an external enclosure!

That makes me sad though. I've been with this mac for over 5 years now. I don't want a new one I want this one :(

4. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

yeah....

Who can blame you. Been there, done that. If it craps out, power it up but wrapped in blanket. It will heat up in an hour or two and flip it back right side up and power on.

Save. Your. Data.

(I got a new board but on Ebay there's folks fixing these for about $100.) ;)

5. bds120 macrumors member

So let me ask a question. Can't you simply just remove the solder from the board and the gpu and re-solder. I am guessing that is what people are doing on ebay and such right?

Is there any other gpu that is compatible with the logic board? If so are they switching out to those?

I am only asking these because I tried to do the preventative thing and clean off and reapply the thermal paste in hopes to keep myself out of harms way.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's all 1 piece, like 99% of laptops on the market. You cannot change the GPU on it.

It's the whole logic board or nothing at all.