Another VZW speed thread but please hear me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diegoesk, Feb 9, 2011.

1. diegoesk, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

diegoesk macrumors regular

***There have been countless posts in regards to vIphone speeds. I know I know. But this is a simple question for all current VZW iphone users***

Yall keep mentioning upload and Dwnload speeds of 1.5 or 2.0 etc etc

I simply want to know how do these speeds translate seconds-wise: Does 1.5mps means a page downloads in 10 seconds as opposed to 3?

I would youtube videos but i have no service on my att phone and Youtube is blocked on our networks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is very subjective to measure the time it takes to load a webpage. The only accurate way to measure speed is the way we do, how many bits/bytes are downloaded per second. However, you can assume that a device that downloads at 1 Mbps will be twice as fast as one that downloads at .5 Mbps (or 512 Kbps).

TEG

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

What it means, roughly, using the "public" perception of 1MB = 1000K (and not the true 8)

If someone has a 1.5mbps download speed they're downloading at 1.5 megabits per second. Using the above it translates to, what you're seeing, as 150 Kilobytes per second.

So lets say you have a 25mb/s home internet connection but your browser says you're downloading at 2.5MB/s that's actually correct. It's just different ways of writing the same value broken into bits/bytes.

It has nothing to do with the amount of page views, but instead the amount of data you're transmitting/receiving per second.

4. diegoesk thread starter macrumors regular

i just think the speed thing is blown outta proportion.. As long as my internet works and I can get steady connection, ill be fine.

anyway, im about to stand in line for a couple of hours in the freezing cold for this vIphone. :apple: