Another wait...don't wait thread

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tizod, Mar 14, 2008.

  1. tizod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #1
    I have had my eyes on an iMac for probably the last 6 months now. I have a Macbook right now but am looking to replace that with a desktop that will become the go-to family computer (for the wife and I).

    We would be using this machine for the basic stuff like web surfing, media storage (Itunes, Iphoto, etc), Word Processing, ILife programs, etc. I would also likely be doing a lot of Windows stuff either through Boot Camp or Paralles (for work). Now, I miss being able to play games on my computer...pc games that is. Even though I am getting a little old for that stuff and don't really have the time for it I would still like to be able to, on occasion, fire up windows and play a game like Call of Duty 4 or something similar.

    So here is where my delima is. I know I can get a great refurb deal and, although I have been focusing on the 20" I might lean towards the 24" based on what I have heard about the display quality. I am ready to pull the trigger but with all this talk of an refresh I have been (trying) to be paitent about it. I was pretty upset when nothing happend on Tuesday and now I am worried that nothing might happen until the WWDC in June. Ugh!

    The thing is...I am not even sure that I would choose the refreshed model over the refurb but I feel like, if I pulled the trigger now and the refresh happened at the beginning of April (after my return policy expired) I might be kicking myself for not waiting.

    I understand that no one can make this decision for me so really I am just looking to vent my frustrations on someone other then my wife who just doesn't understand the pain I am going through.

    But the question remains...to wait or not to wait.
     
  2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #2
    Go for it now and get the 24". You won't be disappointed and any update is likely to be minor. Unless you really love waiting, that is...
     
  3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #3
    There will always be the "next best thing". If you keep waiting, you will never get one.

    I recommend pulling the trigger. The iMac is an excellent machine in it's current state. It will do everything you want it to do and fast!

    As far as the 20" vs 24", your call but to tell you the truth, if you don't want to spend the extra for the 24", the 20" is fine. I looked at both and the 24" is nice but I didn't notice a big display difference. They both looked excellent.
     
  4. tizod thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #4
    Thanks for the responses so far.

    I have looked at both the 20" and 24" side by side and to be honest, I am leaning towards the 20" because I think the 24" is too big.

    Too big he says? Is this guy insane? Maybe...but I live in a tiny one bedroom in Manhattan. Every inch counts. :p
     
  5. jaw3net macrumors regular

    jaw3net

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #5
    I felt the same way. I usually prefer to have the latest and greatest, but it seems that if there were to be an update to the iMac line, it would be pretty minor and there wouldn't be much of a difference to the current line. I was hoping for a refresh this past Tuesday, but there wasn't. So I ended up ordering a 20" 2.4 GHz system with a 500GB HD Tuesday afternoon. I ordered it standard with 1GB RAM because Apple charges way too much for memory and I therefore ordered 4GB of RAM from OWC. My iMac arrived this morning. I haven't turned it on just yet because I'm waiting for the memory to arrive (which should be some time this afternoon). It looks great on my computer stand and I feel pretty satisfied that I bought it now.
     
  6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #6
    ditto for previous replies about pulling the trigger now. would also like to add that if you do, and apple does come out with an oh my god new machine in so many days/weeks/months, you can sell the old one on ebay or craigslist and recoup some of your investment. macs are pretty good about holding their value. if you doubt me, get on those two resources now and see how much the white c2ds are selling for.

    more than likely, with the way the intel roadmap has been going lately, the new system will have the same features and designs of the current ones, but will have a 5-10% boost in processor performance according to some benchtest or another. i doubt that I, you, or another consumer user would tell a difference. intel's gonna keep rolling out new chip designs, but it may be four or five improvements down the road before the average consumer user would be able to drastically tell the difference and think that it's worth it to upgrade.

    what i'm wondering about is if the new chips will use the same ddr2 pc5300 laptop ram. right now it's cheap, cheap, cheap, since it's been around for a while and everyone's using it. gig sticks at best buy for 35 last week and 2gigs for 66 until sunday. newer less common ram would likely be much more expensive. and a redesign may make it impractical for an end user to modify the ram themselves. if either one's the case, a current model with 4 gigs would make more sense than a redesign with only one or two...
     
  7. cardboardcowboy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    #7
    i am in the exact same position as you. i've been waking up every tuesday morning like it was christmas, running to my little powerbook and visiting the apple online store, holding my breath with anticipation only to be ultimately disappointed. it's kind of like opening up a box labeled "xbox" and finding a bunch of clothes. just be thankful you aren't that kid.

    in short: i'm waiting until next tuesday...if nothing happens then, i'm going to buy one. i just can't see myself getting a refurb because i have an academic discount i might as well take advantage of and i like the idea of getting a completely new unit even though i have only heard good things about buying refurb (so don't worry yourself about that). i'm hoping to talk the people at the apple store into letting me fire up my prospective machine so I can check to see how bad the left to right gradient problem is (hopefully i can get one that's perfect or close to it).

    i feel your pain. i have been frying my brain with everything imac lately. been looking at all of my options, all of the possibilities, trying to figure out just exactly what to do. i'm starting to believe those people that say "just do it and stop worrying". the only thing i will be regret about pulling the trigger is if i get a new one and they actually come out with a matte screen option soon after.

    best of luck. do what feels right to you, i can't imagine you can really go wrong with any option you could choose because, after all it is a mac :)

    edit: as far as 20" vs 24" goes, i too thought the 24" was just too big but now that i've started thinking about it i think the 24" is worth it because 1) i do graphic work and 2) you can wall mount the 24" which is awesome to me...wireless keyboard and mouse are a must in that situation i feel. also, the viewing angle thing bothers me a bit...it is pretty noticeable in person but not worth worrying about for everyday, non-graphics specific work. i'm no expert, this is just what i have come to believe after my countless hours of reading/learning/deciding.
     
  8. akdj macrumors 65816

    akdj

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Location:
    Alaska
    #8
    I guess I am in the minority...

    I, too, have been anxiously awaiting an updated IMac...solely because of the video card...and for all of the same reasons as you! I, too, am getting too old for games:) I, too, have a little guy that I want to grow up with an IMac:)

    The video card is worth waiting for...all of the Mac Book Pros have the GeForce cards...they have to put them in at least the high end version of the IMacs with this next update...this upgrade alone, even if they stayed with the same procs...will give you an exponential upgrade in frames and video processing power...especially if you are using boot camp and windows for your gaming.

    I am a Flight Sim guy and the new Flight Sim X from Microsoft is about as taxing as it gets on video cards. My only other option is a Mac Pro, which I will buy if the new IMacs are without a video update.

    The new 3870(?) I believe is another viable option if they allow SLI and the "X2" version down the road...I know, I am dreaming big...but if Apple wants to keep up and switch those PC users over...the "$2,000 choice" HAS to include a viable graphics foundation! My Humble Opinion!

    Good Luck on your choice...looks to me like you have waited this long, why not another month or two?

    BTW...better Graphics cards are not just for gaming...the difference in Photoshop, Final Cut, Logic, or even the ILife and IWork "family" programming will be a night and day difference! Guaranteed!

    Jeremy
     
  9. tizod thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #9
    Jeremy,

    You hit the nail on the head.

    The biggest reason I am holding off is to see what VC upgrades may or may not occur.

    I loved the waking up Tuesday mornings like it's Christmas analogy. I did the same thing this past Tuesday morning and I was sooo dissapointed when nothing happened.

    My biggest fear is that I will get fed up in a couple weeks, make the purchase and they will refresh the following week.

    PS> Has anyone else been trying to feel out the Apple Store people for info? I have even though they probably know less then what most of us do. :D
     
  10. akdj macrumors 65816

    akdj

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Location:
    Alaska
    #10
    "PS> Has anyone else been trying to feel out the Apple Store people for info? I have even though they probably know less then what most of us do. "

    I was just there yesterday...and no...either they know nothing or they are being threatened with their lives to not let the info leak:)

    Don't do it...not yet, hold your water!!! They are coming soon!

    Jeremy
     
  11. vansouza macrumors 68000

    vansouza

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    West Plains, MO USA Earth
    #11
    Get the most computer you can afford when you need it. Enough said.
     
  12. Z.Beeblebrox macrumors regular

    Z.Beeblebrox

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Location:
    NJ / NYC
    #12
    They usually find out about new products about 24-48 hours in advance, when they get a shipment of stuff that is labeled DO NOT OPEN UNTIL XX/XX. It's usually wrapped in black plastic or concealed to avoid detection. Then, they'll get product price codes for the stuff, but no product names. Other than that, there is no direct from Apple communication to general retail employees. You can hassle them all you like, they really don't know more than the general public.
     
  13. Globetrotter macrumors regular

    Globetrotter

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #13
    If you are leaning towards the base 20 inch model with the HD 2400 XT, then I would wait until the update.

    If you are thinking of any of the other three models, go for it now. Nothing really to wait for. Penryn will bring only a mild boost, and it will be really mild.

    I am in the exact same position, but am waiting on the update to see the graphics card change. The 2400 would probably be sufficient (mac for my dad's birthday), but since an update is just around the corner I will hope it gets bumped to the 2600 Pro, which gives a 30-40% boost.

    Peace and God Bless!
     
  14. tizod thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #14
    The 20" 2.4 model (the one I am looking at) has the 2600 Pro already.

    That's the $10,000 question...is that up for a bump?
     
  15. Globetrotter macrumors regular

    Globetrotter

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #15
    In my humble opinion, it will be updated to 512MB memory, and the base iMac will switch to the 2600 Pro with 256MB.

    Or, there is a small chance they might use the MBP cards, but if they do it will only be on the 2.8 24 inch model.

    So I believe it is likely to be:

    2600 Pro 256 ***** 2600 Pro 512 ***** 2600 Pro 512 ***** 2600 Pro 512



    If we are very lucky:

    2600 Pro 256 ***** 2600 Pro 512 ***** 2600 Pro 512 ***** NVIDIA 8600M GT 512



    If we are unlucky:

    2400 256 ***** 2600 Pro 256 ***** 2600 Pro 256 ***** 2600 Pro 512


    Therefore, to me the real gain is with the base model, the other three are unlikely to benefit *greatly* from the update, and its possible there won't be one :D

    Peace and God Bless!
     
  16. tizod thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #16
    I think you might be right...so the question would be...worth it to wait for 256MB more video ram?

    Does anyone here who owns a current Imac use it to play PC games. Specifically, graphic intensive games like CoD4 and can attest to it's ability or inability?

    Anyone?
     
  17. Tarchin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #17
    Ready...maybe...

    I'm looking at the iMac refurb now, since the Penryn update won't provide any real boost.

    I've selected the 24 2.4 w 1gb. Here are a few questions?

    What speaker system (for games, casual listening) do folks recommend? Soundsticks II seem to get good marks.

    I'm going to add another gig or two of ram. What are the suggested ways of doing this. I want at least two gigs, but will consider 4. Do they need to be paired sets from same maker? Are OWC's ram modules compatible w/ the one gig module coming with machine? How does one best do this?

    When would one expect the refurb deals to end/go away?

    Like the poster above, I too will be interested in any input on COD 4 and iMac performance, particularly in regard to what kind of mouse to get.

    Thanks...
     
  18. jaw3net macrumors regular

    jaw3net

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #18

    I just got my new iMac today. I ordered it with 1GB RAM and then ordered 4GB RAM from OWC. They will send you 2x2GB paired modules. It is always best to use the same RAM for both modules. My iMac actually came with a Samsung memory module which I believe OWC sells as well.
     

Share This Page