Another water damaged air, uk apple users advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blow45, Feb 7, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Bought the 2010 mba from the U.K. and the authorized service provider is in Europe where I am on business. They are asking for about 30 pounds (in euros) "service" or inspection fee for noting extensive damage to the motherboard and i/o as a standard service fee by apple on non warranty (3 years applecare) damage coverage. I 'd never heard of a service charge such as this but they said it's in the fine print...

They also noted potential damage to the ssd but when I asked them to just take the ssd out and test it so I could decide if I should pay for the repair they refused and said they couldn't (nor would they test the display but I wasn't expecting this). I was thinking of taking it up with service in the uk, but at this stage I am thinking of just paying the monies and getting my air back and testing the ssd with an external adapter myself because I wouldn't hold it beyond them to intentionally damage the air to cover their behinds...:eek::apple:

peace. blow.:)

p.s. keep your airs well clear of your drinking water, consider a clearguard, immediately turn them off upon contact, use rice then. had to learn these the hard way so I 'd like to forewarn other users who might have their babies damaged.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the service agreement you sign with a tech there usually lists a "diagnostic" fee. If you take it to an Apple Store, they also make you initial the fee. However the difference is Apple doesn't actually charge it, and some authorized repair locations do.

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

cheers! They ought to diagnose the ssd though as well surely? Or not?

4. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

If you pay a diagnostics fee I would think so... but if you have the expertise to do it yourself I would personally do that over paying someone else to do it. That way you know it is done right.

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I 'll do it myself at the end of the day, you are right, it just pisses me off that they would both charge me the fee for diagnostics (informing me after the fact of any potential charge, goes without saying) and then refuse to test the ssd (they claimed it has no ports to test it...lol...), so basically they charged me for informing me that water fried the motherboard...tstststst...