Another water on the MBP thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stan Halen, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Stan Halen macrumors newbie

So my friend knocked over some koolaid on my MBP every thing is fine so far but my track pad does not click. I have to tap it to click the mouse. So my question is if I take this thing apart will GB be able to tell if I took it apart? I just want to take it a part to see if the water sensors went off. Let me know.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First order of business is that you need to unplug the computer and pull the battery. The last thing you want is electricity coursing through the system.

Second, let it dry out for a couple of days before turning it back on

third, since cool aid is mostly sugar and artificial ingredients, it will probably have stained the components to some degree. Will apple be able to tell you spilt something, most likely. Will they be able to tell you disassembled the computer, probably not, unless you really do a bad job taking it apart.

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Sorry this was in my head and had to let it out. I do hope nothing was damaged for good and wish you luck so don't think I am making fun of you ;)

[​IMG]

4. Stan Halen thread starter macrumors newbie

I turned it off when it happened and let it dry out for a bit. thanks for the help man.

5. Stan Halen thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I be able to clean off the stain if there is any.

6. Stan Halen thread starter macrumors newbie

And I don't get why the track pad does not click if a liquid was just spilled on it. It was not dropped or anything. Can any one enlighten me?

7. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

The sugars in the kool aid are sticky and it plugs stuff up and blocks contacts. I read somewhere here once about what to use to try and clean them but don't know where it was.

8. Stan Halen thread starter macrumors newbie

I have extended warranty on it. And there is no way that they can tell that this was taken apart right? only if I do a bad job. What about the water sensors is there anything I can do about that?

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Found this...seems good:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

I can't find "for sure" info that there is a water indicator of any kind in the MBP. Just a lot of speculation. If sticky residue is in there or corrosion, stains etc from the liquid it's going to be obvious but I can't find details of if there are color changing sitckers or sensors of any kind.

I also can't say for sure there are not any seals that would indicate it has been disassembled but I doubt it. There are parts designed to be user serviceable so just opening the case etc wouldn't be disqualifying.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your warranty is voided, and they will be able to tell that your system got wet. They may not be able to tell if you took it apart, but the damage has been done, i.e., water damage.

11. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Googling around shows people have managed to clean them off sometimes. Really depends where it got into. If it's not on any unsealed electronics I would not give up yet. Not like you have anything to lose by trying.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's most likely due to some of the liquid passing through the sides of the trackpad. What is "GB" anyway?

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

14. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

GB = Genius Bar (I presume)

My take on it is that I wouldn't be worried too much about how my warranty is affected by opening it, because the damage has been done, and the warranty is technically already void.

I opened a pre-unibody MBP to install a SSD and it wasn't a big deal as long as you're familiar with working inside systems.

15. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The real question is, why isn't your friend offering to replace your computer? If he isn't offering to compensate, then he's not a friend. If I damaged anything that belonged to a friend, I would insist on replacing it even if I had to take out a second job or a loan to do it.

As for the damage, you never said how much liquid got into the computer. It doesn't take much to seep into the components and trigger the sensors. If the liquid is sugar based then you need to clean it out or it's going to corrode the circuits. There are ways to throughly clean the components (do a search and you'll find all kinds of threads on people who have successfully recovered from a spill) but I'm afraid your warranty is shot. Time for your friend to get out his credit card. He just bought a slightly used computer for full price. At the very least, he should pay the value of a used computer.

16. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It was probably Apple flavored.

17. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

What sensors (paper indicators? electronic? ) and where are they? I can't find any details other than people just saying they are "there". DO we know for a fact they exist? And if so how.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OMG, I thought of everything at the Apple store including "Applecare" but couldn't think of Genius Bar. My apologies, thanks much.
    The best thing for the OP is just take it to the Apple store and let them look at it and don't mention about the spill. Let them find out for themselves. Not trying to recommend dishonesty, but if they don't see any damage, let them fix it if covered under Applecare.

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

There is no Apple flavored Kool-Aid.

Red is the only acceptable flavor. Oh, and purple. Yes. Kool-Aid flavors are designated by colors. It is red flavored; purple flavored.