Another water spill - My turn

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dinamo9, Apr 15, 2008.

1. dinamo9 macrumors member

I've always been careful with water around my laptop but today that didn't prove anything. I knocked over half a glass of water and it landed on the lower right of my new MBP. Luckily most of the water landed on the actual base and my pants, the rest went in the lower right of the keyboard. I immediately powered down, turned the mac book upside down, and dried the excess water off with a towel. I then went on my desktop to see what other people who went through this did, and quickly ran back to my MB and pulled the battery out (3 mins after spill) Now I have it positioned conveniently upside down next to an air filter with the lower right spillage zone targeted. Is this a wise thing to do or would i be better off placing it on top of my fridge? I thought the constant airflow might help. I'm gonna leave it there for 24 hours. Thanks for any advice through this hard time :rolleyes: .

Miro

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Put a folded paper towel between the screen and keyboard and turn it upside down. Let gravity soak most of the water into the towel. Pull it out, maybe shoot some canned air in to blow droplets out, repeat, and your laptop should be good in 24 hours.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'd give it a bit longer than 24 hours. You want it to be completely dry before you power it back on.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Second this. Don't get too anxious and check too soon. Let it get nice and dry before cutting it back on.

Also, how long is your MBP?

5. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I would give it around 3ish days? (Someone correct me if im wrong)

I would take my time when it comes to something like this, better to have patience, then a dead mbp.

6. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

It will have constant airflow on it for the 24 hours, which is different from just having it sit in a warm room I assume, thus reducing the amount of time needed for it to fully dry? I've had it for 2 weeks if thats how you mean by how long. Thanks

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Dang, losing warranty so early really sucks.

Oh well. As I said, don't let anxiety eat you. Just be patient and let it dry.

8. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

The warranty is lost? Seriously....I bought applecare too...oh my....are you sure????

9. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

If, keyword "IF" when you do turn it back on and something is broken and you have to take it to apple to fix it, i won't say 100% that they will know right off the bat that it was due to water. But if they do find out your warranty goes out the window.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, unfortunately, any signs of water damage will void your warranty. :(

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

12. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know approximate odds of their being a problem. I think I reacted quickly and only hit about 6-8 of the lower right keys with water.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not possible to guess. Just be patient, give it 48 hours if you can, and hope for the best.

14. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna give it 34 hours, think it would be better if i moved it to on top of my fridge now? or leave it by the air filter? I also have a sauna that i could put in on a low temperature. Thanks!

15. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Lol don't put it in a sauna

16. bshelly macrumors newbie

Why would you want to risk ruining your MBP over not wanting to wait to let it dry completely? Give it 72 hours minimum. Just having moving air is not going to help much. Time is what will make the difference between a working MBP and a dead/flakey MBP.

Time is your friend :)

17. steinlager macrumors regular

Wouldn't a sauna completely neglect the effort of taking to dry the MBP? :rolleyes:

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Stick it on front of the air conditioner and leave it there, allowing the cool-air to pass over it, helps with the evaporation process. Seriously... leave it in a warm environment and allow cool air to circulate around it. Leave it for a week or more, depending on the average room temperature.

Also, I'd be very careful about using pressured air to blow away droplets because the keyboard topcase isn't a sealed unit, there are lots and lots of cracks and small holes, the last thing you want is to blow droplets of water onto the delicate logic-board that lies beneath.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would be disassembling the Macbook Pro right now if I were you. Exposing the innards may allow you to dry the machine a little faster.

20. raremage macrumors 6502a

A sauna is dry heat; you may be thinking of a steamroom.

21. dinamo9 thread starter macrumors member

It wasn't a major spill, as I said it only hit the corner of the keyboard, not the whole thing. Most of it landed on the palm rest and my pants. The mac guide says from 24-48 hours so I think 34-40 is pretty reasonable.

And yes, sauna is dry heat, i'm not talking a steam room. But my Sauna can heat up to anywhere from 20 degrees to 120. Thats why I thought it might be good to put it there in low low heat to speed up the process.

For now, i'll keep it by the air filter, which is basically is shooting out purified air directly at and into the keyboard. Please keep the advice coming. Thanks :)