Another WD Scorpio 750 thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sgt93, May 4, 2011.

1. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

I appologize for another thread in advance. I am having a hard time making the final choice. I would like to know owners experience with these drives after some usage. I'm looking at putting one in my late 09 13" unibody, 8GB Ram. I am about maxed out with the 250GB in there now and am an avid user of the CS5 master collection, Aperture 3, Parallels 6, Windows etc. I am also considering the Momentus XT however, I have read several complaints lately about the drive so I am leaning towards the WD Scorpio 750 so I can partition about 250GB to Windows. I would ratehr not purchase an SSD to save a few bucks however; the Intel 320 Series 300GB is tempting. Thx -Steve

2. MacMojo1 macrumors member

I dropped in the 750GB Momentus drive from OWC into my 2011 15". Works great so far, pretty quiet, ample space, and fast enough to access Logic's intruments and samples without any I/O issues.

Going back to noise for a second. I never booted the MBP with its standard 5400 drive so I cannot say its louder or runs hotter than the standard build.

The OWC kit comes with an external enclosure for the original drive plus all the tools you need to do the replacement.

3. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I have used the WD HDD you are debating to purchase for one month or so. It is louder than the stock drive. The WD is slightly faster than the 5400 Hitachi, which was standard equipment in my machine. I have not noticed a decrease in battery life, as this was a concern. I have not had sleep issues or anything associated with booting. Hope this helps! :)

4. Sgt93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sgt93