Another "What do I buy to replace P4 3.4" Q

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Golfmore, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Golfmore macrumors newbie

I have a P4 3.4 GHz, and the appropriate hdware. 2 gigs, 2 hdd's 250 & 300. I do some photo work, and the other obvious stuff. Just like speed. Don't really want to update this box and use another MS OS. Now running XP Pro, with ****loads of patches.
    (OSX is Unix, true?)
    I would like a .........
    1. MBP loaded to replace it (does it really need to be loaded?)
    or
    2. mac pro and a Macbook.

I have 3 apps that have to be run in Windows. They are profession specific, and they don't come in a MAC version. Could use Parallels, I think.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you don't really do anything that's considered insanely processor intensive, and you want to buy a Mac to replace your fast P4 3.4 GHz.

I say get the MBP if you want portability, and get a 24" external LCD. If you don't really need the portability, get the Mac Pro and MacBook combo. The portability would just be nice to have.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How often do you plan on making hardware upgrades? Every Mac out right now is dual core and it depends more on the other components instead of the CPU.

Mobility is a factor too.

4. Golfmore thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably won't do much upgrading after this one. I need more memory and HDD space. I would do a 2 gig machine. I was even considering a used G5,but I am unfamiliar with Macs.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd strongly suggest getting an Intel based machine. What's your budget? It's better to work with that in mind and your need for mobility.

6. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Yes they are Unix based, but you don't need to know a lick of Unix.

We're in the same boat. I'm replacing my P4 3.2ghz, gobs of RAM and big hard drive. I'm going with a Macbook and 2gb RAM because -

Portability is nice,
    External hard drives are cheap,
    External LCD monitors are cheap,
    Using two monitors at once is awesome,
    I don't want Vista.

I don't see any reason to own both a laptop and desktop. The laptops these days are fast enough to do just about anything. The hard drives & graphics are a bit slower, but I can live with that.

7. volvoben macrumors 6502

if the 3 programs you need professionally are not 3d graphics intensive, parallels should work. If they are, bootcamp is the only way to get native graphics performance.

parallels requires some ram, but 2gb is fine in my experience, even running vista.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

don't do a non intel because they can't do parallels or windows