another what to do

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AL2TEACH, Oct 9, 2013.

1. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

I will be getting the 27 iMac in a few days but I need a little help. The most taxing thing I will be doing is some video encoding and video conferencing, the rest would fit into the norm stuff and no gaming. With an eye toward any upgrade stuff Apple might have in mind. My choices are:
    3.4 GHz i5
    1 TB Fusion
    GTX 780m 4GB
    or
    3.2 GHz i5
    1 TB Fusion
    GT 755m 1GB

1. is this fusion thing only really good for a few seconds of speed. if not what other good does it have over a regular 1 TB hard drive?
    2. is the only plus with the GTX 780m for gaming?
    3. this 2008, 24 inch model is going strong since I got it but I want this 27 to last even longer despite any upgrades to come.
    thanks. :eek:

2. cycledance Suspended

3. MikeChicago macrumors member

I personally think the Fusion drive is a must upgrade. It will make either machine feel more snappy. There is always the 775 in between the two GPU options you mentioned. It might be a nice middle option. Otherwise, I think you'll be well served by either one with the higher specs machine perhaps being more capable/relevant/useful later.

4. elithrar, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

• Always get the Fusion drive (never the vanilla SATA HDD).
    • 8GB of RAM is plenty for most. Get more if you do a lot of memory hungry tasks - development, large PSDs, large photos (16MP+), etc.
    • i5 is fine for nearly everyone. Most applications won't make use of the extra threads in the i7.
    • The 775M/780M are great cards, but most people won't notice any difference unless they're gaming or doing lots of GPU-heavy tasks (video editing, CUDA processing, etc). If you will do any gaming though, get at least the 775M. If you're just a web browser + iPhoto user + documents + watching movies, get the entry level 27" and spend the savings on something else.

5. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

since I have a couple of days before the card gets here and then a week or so before I decide, it's no rush but option one is looking better if just for longevity.
    well so far, lol. thanks. :D

6. Bear macrumors G3

1) It may be a few seconds at a time, but it all adds up and is worthwhile. As an additional bonus, the size of the Fusion Drive is the size of the SSD and HD combined, so it's a tad more space than just a HD.
    2) As mention also for some video work. Depending on how much you are doing, it could be a great time savings. As a compromise, you could go for the the 775M.
    3)Video encoding is one of the things that an i7 will noticeably help with, so this is something to think about. Again it all depends on how much you are talking about.

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

8. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

this option seems to be just dandy.
    thanks all

9. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

it should be here the week of the 23rd.
    again thanks all :D

10. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502