Another "which iMac is right for me" thread :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vicki2314, Aug 15, 2007.

1. vicki2314 macrumors member

Hi all. I have a Rev A iMac G5 that is about to be replaced by a new iMac, I just can't decided which one! I am a graphic design student with one and a half years left at school so I'd like this new iMac to last me a few years for my needs. My biggest concern right now are the screens after reading all the posts about the differences in color accuracy in both the 20" and 24" models, not to mention the gloss. I am familiar with this problem already as my current iMac also suffers from color shifting, and even though it bugs me, I have survived thus far with all my design classes. However, I cannot wait any longer for any magical screen upgrades down the road because I need an iMac now, haha.

--SO--

I am a student on a tight budget and I will also be spending an extra $50 for a 30gb iPod, $80 for a Canon Pixma MP600, $350 for Adobe CS3 Design Premium and around $120 or so, it seems, for a 2GB stick of RAM for a combined 3GB RAM. I guess I should also mention the $69 Leopard upgrade in October. I also want to buy Applecare but I can save that for later on. That all being said, cost is certainly a huge factor in the end.

Adding it all up, that makes for a total of $1819 for the 2.0GHz 20", $2069 for the 2.4GHz 20", and $2369 for the 2.4GHz 24" along with a sad, empty checking account

Any thoughts/advice/recommendations/donations will be most appreciated!!! (jk about the donations haha)

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I have heard that the 24" has a different screen panel type.. While the 20"s have TN panels which isn't very good for color accuracy.. However if you calibrate your display (20") right then the color accuracy improves...

3. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I did read that the 20" can be improved, which made me feel better. I'm not sure how to calibrate the display but I'm sure it's not too hard to find out! I'm just stuck with all the numbers right now as this is such a huge purchase for me, but a very necessary one, and I sure wouldn't want to regret anything! Haha my head is hurting going back and forth between 20" and 24" constantly!

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

If you can afford it, I would recommend 24'' just for the size of the screen. You'll appreciate the extra space few years down the line. Right now, 20'' might seem fine, but in a few years it'll be the new 17'' (which got discontinued :p). Also, the better panel helps, and I think it has better speakers :).