Another "Which iMac" Thread

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pjfla, Nov 8, 2009.

1. pjfla macrumors newbie

Continuing to feed my sickness. About to place an order for a 27" iMac, but not sure what specs I really need (vs (want).

The iMac is essentially replacing my mid 2009 Mini (we also have another mini in the bedroom, 2 MBPs and an MBA). This iMac is going to serve as THE computer of the household (just y wife and I). We will use it for:

-Home iTunes library (shared to the other machines mentioned above) - connected to a few external HDs (WD MyBook = (1) 2 TB Drive, and (2) 1 TB Drives)
    -about 5k songs
    -250 movies
    -3k photos
    -iMovie (wife works a lot on iMovie)
    -iPhoto
    -Heavy Internet Surfing (ethernet connected)
    -2 ATVs connected
    -All of our contacts, email, and personal info (Bento)

No gaming, no DVD watching, no heavy duty video editing except in iMovie.

So here is where I need recommendations. I definitely want a 27" with 2 TB HD, and a lot of ram (prob 8gb). What processor and should I upgrade the video card?

Last point... not really a question of money, cause I a mok with buying with all options, but do I really need to??

Thks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given your history of buying new machines and the lack of real need for the processor upgrade, I'd get the stock processor, but I would upgrade the video card as it will help to some extent. Ram and hard drive are your choice.

3. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

I think the consensus would be the i5 is sufficient for your needs.

That said, I think you should get the i7 :D

4. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

drobo

It sounds like you should get a base model imac and then spend a little on a drobo... :)

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If I've got the money, my philosophy is always "buy expensive, cry once," so I'd go with the i7. Then again, I buy a computer once in at least 3 years but if you're going to buy a new computer yearly then the i7 doesn't make too much sense.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you can live with a 21.5'' screen, the best of that variant should be plenty for you. If you've got the extra cash, then go for the 27''.