Another Which MacBook Thread? :]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skillum, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Skillum macrumors newbie

Okay, Okay, I know there are a lot of threads about which MacBook to buy. This is my current situation. I have a $2,000 budget which I can wiggle ($100-$200) with a bit if it's totally worth it. I currently own a Late 08' 13" Macbook Low End. I'm ready for an upgrade. I have a decent knowledge of computers (currently pursuing MIS degree), but always promote feedback from others. 17" is out of the question. I love the portability of the 13", but feel as if I would be fine with the 15". So obviously it's between the high end 13" or either model of the 15". I'm not sure whats the whole deal with upgrading the displays. I know I want a HDD with 7200 RPM and am fine with 500GB. Also not sure about the AppleCare...worth it? I take pretty good care of my MacBook right now, but am having a slight problem with the Graphics card (not my fault). I also use triple boot on my Mac, not sure if that is relevant. Anyways this is what I've got so far.

MacBook Pro 15"
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 7200-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

Only thing I changed was the HDD. I game slightly, plug into my HD TV a lot via DVI-HDMI, and frequently use W7 to program in VisualBasic. So high end 13" or High end 15". Also will the 8GB of RAM really make that much of a difference compared to the 4. I am currently using 2GB and HATE IT. Again sorry if this is a repost, i went back about 3 pages and didn't see anything too similar. Please no flames<3

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

There will be a pretty big difference the 13" MacBook and the 15" MacBook Pro.

AppleCare is up to you. Apple replaced my early 08" w/ a brand new 15" last Thursday due to having AppleCare.

3. lukta macrumors member

Get what you posted plus some 3rd party ram (there's some on this forum for $65 usd thru newegg). You've got the setup that i have in the mail (plus the Hd glossy screen for me). Get that and make sure you get the student discount for $200 off.

Edit: I have my computers for like 4+ years and take good care of them. Have never gotten apple care for them or iPods.

4. Skillum thread starter macrumors newbie

Difference? Like in weight or power? What happened to your computer? Was it the 2011 15"?

What's the advantage of the HD Glossy Screen?

5. lukta macrumors member

The hd gives you a higher screen resolution, or more pixels per square inch. The glossy is just my preference over the anti glare option.

Edit: there is a significant difference in power between the 13s and the 15s (ESP the upper 15)

6. Catholic13 macrumors newbie

How is that even possible? They must have take a huge hit off of that

7. karohan macrumors 6502

AppleCare is something I like because it always gives me peace of mind. This may be irrelevant because Macs are supposedly more durable, but with my last two PCs I needed to use the extended warranty to replace mobo's for both.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

It is possible because I paid for a service, and my computer kept having the same exact problems, even after getting it fixed. I asked them flat out if they ever replace computers with new ones. They said yes, and I asked if I could get a new one. They said ok. Mind you that you have to have problems with your computer. I bought my early 08' MBP in October of 2008, when the unibodies came out. I still had 8 months of AppleCare, which they are cutting me a check for the pro-rated difference. I will put that towards the purchase of a new 2 year agreement of AppleCare on my new machine.