another "which mouse" thread...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by QCassidy352, Apr 10, 2007.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have read through many, many previous threads about choosing a mouse, but I have a specific 3-way comparison and some particular questions that I'd like to ask about. So if you're bored of the mouse wars, move along now! ;)

I've tried 3 bluetooth mice, including the MM, and I think I've made up my mind to give up on bluetooth mice for now. I love the idea of wireless without taking up a usb slot, but I've yet to be truly satisfied with a bluetooth mouse, in large part because they are not responsive or accurate enough. Also, they tend to have connection and sleep problems that annoy me.

Soooo, I've decided to sacrifice the usb port and go for one of these three:
    1) Logitech VX Revolution
    2) Razer Pro Mouse v1.6
    3) Logitech MX518

Here are a few things I'm looking for:
    - I like a clean desktop, so obviously the VX has that going for it. But I'm also looking for a good deal of accuracy (for RTS games), and I don't know if the VX matches the others in that regard.
    - I have fairly normal sized hands (the mighty mouse feels a bit small, while an MS BT intellimouse feels a bit large, but both are acceptable), so I don't want anything too strangely sized or shaped.
    - The design should be such that I could click the side buttons without moving my hand position.
    - My preference is to assign all buttons other than left and right click to expose and dashboard, so if I can do that without dealing with drivers, that's a big plus. If I do have to deal with drivers, I'd like them to "just work" because I'm not interested in making it my life's work to get a mouse to function properly.

Anyone know what stores might have any or all of these on the floor for trying out? Anyone able to compare the relative strengths and weaknesses of these options? Thanks!! :)

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

All three are good mice, but the Razer and the MX518 is similar enough that I would suggest eliminating the MX518 from the list. It's down to the VX Revolution and the Razer, and that's up to your needs. The VX Revolution is an awesome mouse, it's wireless, and it tracks pretty damn well. But nothing will beat the Razer in sheer tracking. The Razer is wired, however.

So it's down to which you want more, wireless or tracking precision.

I, for one, went with the VX Revolution.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks for the good advice. :) 2 questions for ya:

First, if the MX518 and the Razer are so similar, why would you boot the MX518 from consideration rather than the Razer? After all, the MX518 is cheaper than the Razer (and I've read less complaints about the difficulty of its side buttons than the side buttons on the Razer).

Second, do you play games with the VX? How do you find it does in terms of accuracy and response time?

4. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

I went with the Razer. No complaints here. Great mouse! (Mostly used for World of Warcraft) Tracking
    is super accurate and extremely smooth.

5. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

do you find the side buttons easy to use? and are you able to map exposé on to those buttons without installing drivers? thanks! :)

6. SchMac macrumors newbie

Get the Kensington Expert Mouse (Laser Trackball). It may take a week or less to get used to, but you'll never want to use a regular mouse again.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You can map the side buttons for expose without drivers, yes.

The reason why I picked the Razer over the MX518 is admittedly a personal preference. I preferred the Razer over the MX518 when I played around with both of them on separate occasions. Yeah, the side buttons on the Razer isn't located in the best place, but you get used to it guickly, and won't be bothered by it.

The VX Revolution works perfectly fine with games. But I'm probably not the one to take advice about that from. I thought the Mighty Mouse was fine for gaming (barring the left/right button issue) :eek: :D, so my opinion is probably not as "refined" as the "ubergamer".

8. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

all great info; thanks. The left/right button issue on the BT MM is one of the main reasons I'm ditching it. It's actually pretty good in most other ways, but that's kinda a big issue.

I'm certainly no "ubergamer" in any sense, but I do like nice, accurate, responsive performance. I get myself killed enough without the mouse pitching in. :D

9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

look at the Logitech G5/7 its a hardcore gamer mouse but maybe it could work??

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I have no personal experience w/ any of them except for the MX518, which I own. I love it. I'm definitely not a gamer, but it's comfortable in my hand (smaller than average) but was definitely comfortable in my ex's and other guy friends' hands, too.

No extra drivers necessary if all you want to do is assign the extra mouse buttons to exposé and Dashboard like you say you want-- that's what I did w/ my iMac. System Preferences> Dashboard & Exposé and then just use the pull down menus. :D

As for accuracy of the MX518? My friend who was recruited and played on a team for international CS gaming (they actually placed in some competitions) used the older less accurate, but otherwise similar MX510. He wanted my mouse. :p

11. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, maybe. I'm going off online research and reviews in selecting the three I've selected, but I'm sure there are other good options out there.

heh, I actually first started looking at the MX518 because of your posts about it in old threads that I came across. Good to hear that you're still enjoying that mouse. :) Sounds like the size/programability/accuracy are all what I'm looking for. One thing about the MX518 is that it's noticeably cheaper than the other options, and that's always good (as long as the quality is similarly good). Do you find the side buttons easy to use?

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Gosh. :eek: I didn't think people ever noticed them.
    Extremely. :D I'm one of those not-hip-with-tech stuff people and I always made fun of people who used those fancy shmancy mouse(s/ -ice) with all those buttons... But now? I so love having the thumb button for Dashboard, one of the other side buttons for the default F10 function (show all windows for one app), etc. :)

Love it.

13. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I found them very helpful and informative. :)

That sounds great.

Hmm, so as I read it, I've got one vote of confidence for each of the options, and two different suggestions for other options! :eek: Maybe I should have made this a poll!

And maybe I need a store where I can try one or more of these out!

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

First, hope you don't mind me airing this publicly but it's important to put out here so that 1) people know that there's another person who can successfully use a non-Apple OEM multi-button mouse with Mac OS X ;) 2) so that someone else who might have a similar question might find this thread, and 3) in case someone else has a better answer to your question.

Okay... so I have never used this app myself, but I've seen it mentioned here on MR before and the site does say that it's Tiger compatible as well as Intel-friendly. USB Overdrive. Hope this helps. :)

15. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

I use the MX Revolution.
    I know a bit pricey but it does the job well. I found that it has more issues with a powerbook g4 then my macbook. on the powerbook it jumps and has tracking issues on the macbook its perfectly accurate in any sense that I could explain. It also track more then 20 feet away without any interference.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just got a Logitech Mx400 at work (admittedly for a Windows PC) and it's great. I like the feel and responsiveness. They even tacked on an 'application switcher' button which makes me feel a teensy bit closer to Exposé when I'm not at home. :)
    It was $40 at Compusa, which I think is a good deal.

17. mania macrumors member

18. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

nope, don't mind the public response at all. I did indeed get an MX518 today, and it really does rock. I've got all 3 exposé functions and dashboard on different buttons and still have left, right, scroll, and on-the-fly dpi adjustment.

The tracking is outstanding. I tried the mouse out in warcraft 3 and the precision is like nothing I've seen before. I didn't think it was possible that a mouse could make such a difference... I was wrong.

It also feels great in my hand, and the buttons are all well placed and have just the right amount of stiffness. For ~$45, I couldn't be happier with my decision. (btw, I tried the VX revolution in the store, and it didn't feel as good in my hand as this mouse. it also was pricier, so this was an easy call.)

So thanks very much to all who gave some great suggestions, and esp to devilot, without whom I never would have heard of this mouse.

I'll look in to USB overdrive, and also steer mouse (which I've heard is good), but for now I'm more than happy with my many exposé functions with no drivers necessary. :D