Another wifi issue, I guess... :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Heather1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

(searched, no similar issue, please help.)

OK, just bought the touch a few days ago and i've had bunch of problems already. First off, lemme explain the situation.

When i connect to my wifi at home for the first time, it worked beautifully. The second time, when i enabled my wifi in settings, it automatically connected to my wifi at home without me typing the password. This is good, so i thought. However, dear god, after like 5 mins, there's still so wifi signal whatsoever on top, but in the settings, it showed that it's connected (and i still couldn't use the internet). (???????)

I disconnected ("forget this network") it and manually typed in my password again. It worked. So i guess everytime when i need to use wifi, i'd have to manually type in the password. Fine then. No complaint.

However, this morning and right now, while trying to connect to my school wifi, since there's no password required, i have no clue how i can make it work (unless i "reset network settings", which takes time and kills the battery like hell.) I hate this. Please, anyone out there with some sort of network, wifi, ipod touch knowledge... HELP ME!!

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you restored from a backup of your 1G touch? This is what happened with me and i restored and set up as a new ipod and it works flawlessly now

3. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

umm... no. This is my new ipod touch. I got it last Friday. it's 2nd generation. Any help?

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I generally keep the wi-fi off until I need it and I have found that when I turn it on I have to wait for it to find the the network then turn it off and back on again and it will connect the second time without problem.

5. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

I am having similar issues.. under Amazon policy, I can return the product and get refund.. but wondering if they would charge me the restock fee. I know I would need to pay for the UPS shipping though.

6. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

unfortunately that's known issue since 2.1 update has been. so I hope that Apple will update software soon.

7. Joshjosh667 macrumors newbie

Joshjosh667

I am having similiar problems regarding attempts to connect to a wireless network. The first few days i have had my iPod Touch 2G, it would connect to a wireless network perfectly and with no problems whatsoever. Now it will NOT connect to wireless networks that it normally would have the days before. Is this a bug or something about the product itself I don't know. PLEASE TELL ME!
    I have tried turning it off-on a lot, turning off the wireless a lot, changing settings, and even having my friend who knows a lot about Apple stuff couldn't do anything, SO PLEASE HELP!

8. bright one macrumors newbie

me, too

tadad1 wrote:
    "I generally keep the wi-fi off until I need it and I have found that when I turn it on I have to wait for it to find the the network then turn it off and back on again and it will connect the second time without problem."

Thanks! I had the same problem, since i turned off the wi-fi to save battery power and was getting frustrated with it not finding/connecting, but i tried what you do and it worked. Hoping apple addresses this soon. :)

9. archi17 macrumors regular

Yeah i think everyone is having this issue, I just keep turning wifi on and off and on again until the little wifi indicator appears in the top status bar.