Another wifi issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dtuck90, Oct 1, 2012.

1. dtuck90 macrumors regular

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but I think my iPhone is losing wifi connection every time it goes to the lock screen as whenever I go to unlock my phone it shows the 3G symbol or the GPRS circle and then the wifi symbol will reappear. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is this normal as this is my first iPhone

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I have not had those issues... I'm guessing it's hardware related?

3. srcampana macrumors member

It's happened with all of my other iPhones and appears to be normal. As long as you have no problems reconnecting, you should be in the clear. This has always been my experience. :)

4. dtuck90 thread starter macrumors regular

If I was updating apps for example and locked my phone, would this affect downloading?

5. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

No, as far as I know the iPhone will stay connected to wifi if there's something being downloaded from the Internet.

And it's normal for the iPhone to turn off wifi when locked because cellular radios don't need as much battery to sustain an 'inactive' connection. It is however better to use wifi for downloading because then wifi is more power-efficient than cellular.

6. applefan022 macrumors 6502

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Happens all the time with my 4s. Once the screen is unlocked, wifi reestablishes itself.

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Some may not notice it as their phone reconnects so quick. All depends on your network setup as to how quick this all works.

It's normal. I believe the iPhone 4 with the initial release of ios 4 has persistent wifi but this was quickly fixed in a later version due to it killing batteries too quick.

Don't worry, FaceTime still works due to some apple magic, apps will still download while locked over wifi and it will turn off the radio once it's done.