another win 7 install question.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dazed, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

hi,

I know this question gets asked a lot but i've searched and all the answers seem to be before bootcamp officially supported Win 7.

I have the 3 pack family upgrade version and I want to install it over my XP install (I dont need to keep any data). Do I need to go through the bootcamp assistant or can I just install directly within XP ?

Also, It will be installed on my wifes macbook (macbook5,1). OWC says it support 6GB, is it worth getting the 6 or will 4 be ok to run Win 7 decently?

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No need for Boot Camp Assistant, but note that XP->7 "upgrades" are not in-place, meaning that you end up with a clean install anyhow. You are better off ignoring XP is installed and doing a clean upgrade of 7 instead. Use the guide here: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx for reference.

4 GB is great for W7 under Boot Camp, if you're running under a VM I'd consider the 6 GB upgrade.

B

3. bape47 macrumors member

bape47

i have a macbook i install windows 7 and then i install bootcam and now my window 7 not have sound please help me thanks

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Did you install the windows drivers from the snow leopard dvd?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member