another windows pc question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vistadude, Feb 18, 2011.

1. vistadude macrumors 65816

My video card died today on my windows desktop. It was an nVidia 8600 gt from about 4 years ago. I'm running on onboard video and it is terrible. I'm looking to get something similar to the 8600 gt but I have no idea what the recent model numbers to look at. I want something that'll run aero on windows 7, is quiet, single slot, and doesn't require a huge power supply. I believer my power supply is only 250 watts. I don't use this pc for gaming much except for some ut99 and ut3, so i'd like to keep the price below $80 if possible and an nvidia model. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

What's the difference between this one and the 9500 GT? The 9500GT costs a bit less.

Interestingly I opened up the case and turned on the computer. The video card fan works fine. But the card is not picked up in device manager. It could also be the cables or the monitor.. Monitor has some electrical issues but the display works through vga to both the PC and xbox 360.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You probably already did this...

Reseat the card in the socket several times to be sure the contacts are clean. It appears to be getting power, but the data lines could have oxidized contacts.

4. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

No dice. I went ahead and ordered a new card, not bad for $65... but eventually I was hoping to sell the pc, I hate putting more money into something I'm going to sell eventually.