Another Word 2008 issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by megatronbomb, Feb 8, 2008.

1. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I haven't seen it mentioned, but has anyone noticed that if you have Word in the background with applications on top, and you click on Word to make it the front most window, it will ignore you unless you click on the bar at the very top?

It's very minor, but it's annoying. I guess I want to make sure it's not just me! :D

2. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I haven't personally experienced this issue, but I do know that Office 2008 doesn't work very well with Spaces and Expose.

It's just minor stuff that an update should take care of, though.

3. alawrence101 macrumors member

Yeah, I've noticed that problem. They'd better have a update with a ton of bug fixes coming out soon.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

My upgrade just came today. and I plan on loading it tonight.

I guess I better keep Office 2004 around for a while to see how this is working out. It doesn't sound very promising from what I have read...

5. megatronbomb thread starter macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I just don't understand the mindset of putting time, person-power, and money into developing a super flashy product when basic things don't work right. Considering how long Office for the Mac has been around, there's no excuse that it's as buggy as it is. Just my two holier-than-thou pennies! :D

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Be careful. I'm pretty sure that the 2008 installation deletes 2004 without warning or option to do otherwise.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Thats nice. I assumed it would be similar to the 2004 install, that asks you if you want to remove previous versions...

As far as the bugs in 2008, I suspect there was much more involved in the port to make it Intel native, and thats where all of the issues are coming from. if it was a "simple check box" like Steve said dring the initial Intel keynote, I would have thought we would have seen a version well before now...

Older complex apps like Photoshop and Office seem to have taken much longer to make the transition...

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No....it gives you the option during the install to remove other office versions, but it is not required.

-Kevin

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I assigned Word to only be in Space 2. I've had Word just suddenly switch to some other random space, with no warning :confused:

Hope they are working on that.

-Kevin

10. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

My goodness! Why in the world would they release a product that can't even handle expose or spaces???? The bugs are tremendously un-subtle. Why can't each Office window be its own separate entity when expose is used? It's just so, so... I can't describe how tacky it is.

11. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I have had similar problems with Word. It happens when I have multiple documents open and I go click a document in the background. Sometimes it will go to the program in the background (eg Safari). It doesn't bother me that much, but o well.