Answer me this? rMBP buzzing when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rm2092, Dec 3, 2012.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I just bought a new 15" rMBP a month ago and I have noticed a very strange thing going on here and you tell me whats up with this. when I have my computer sitting on a table or couch with the power cord on i can feel like a buzz in the aluminum body while rubbing my finger over the body but as soon as I un plug it, it goes away. Also if i have a the laptop on my lap with it plugged in there is no buzzing in the body. So what do you think is going on, also try it out your self.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Static transferring through the body is my guess. The reason it doesn't happen when your computer is unplugged is because the battery puts just enough power into the computer, no excess. But when you have the power cord plugged in, there is excess power going to the machine, causing there to be a slight static charge going through the machine. Of course, aluminum isn't magnetic, but something similar to that. Have you tried using a different power adapter?

3. phoenix78 macrumors member

Most likely you are using the power plug attachment that has only two pins. This one is not grounded. Use the one with 3 pins and you should have no problems with the current running into your fingers.

4. Kristine macrumors 6502a

+1

5. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

Thanks I just checked my power strip that has a three prong and it was partially hanging out of the wall socket, pushed it back in and the buzz is gone.