Answered: What are my chances with a walk-in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orange™, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Orange™ macrumors 6502

I, like many of you, tried to order an iPhone on the 15th. It was a nasty mess which resulted in myself unable to purchase the iPhone.

I hear that it is possible to "Walk-In" at an Apple Store on launch day and still get one.

1) Is this true?

2) How early should I get there?

3) Am I limited to one or can I get two. (For my Father)

4) Do I need to sign up there for the plan?

5) Will there be two lines? 1 for the pick-ups and the other for "walk-ins"?

I wouldn't have minded waiting till the second, but now it says the 24th! No thank you. :)
    I would appreciate your help. Thanks! :eek:

2. Orange™ thread starter macrumors 6502

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

cus you obviously did no search or have read anything. How are ppl even supposed to know the answers to some of your questions?

4. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

Because no one cares to answer something that has been beaten to death the past MONTH. I can tell you your chances of finding the answer if you search. 100%. I used to hate people who did these rants and not help the person but this past week I have learned why they are so frustrated.

5. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Is it possible?

Yes.

Is it probable?

Maybe.

Your chances are 50/50, simple as that.

Get there early. That's the best advice. You can get one phone, and yes, you'll have to sign up for "the plan".

6. Dchip24 macrumors newbie

I'm at the apple store right now. I talked to three of the apple employees and he said that on the 24th there will be two lines, one for reservations and one for walk ins. I plan on coming on the 24th with the intention of standing in the walk in line and hopefully getting my long-awaited white iPhone.

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No one knows the answer for sure. Call your local store, we don't know what the line process and such is.

8. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I'll bite.

My past with walk-ins has been with the iPhone 3G. You were able to pre-order them and everything. So just put your mindset there. I was there around 4AM, AT&T opened at 8AM. I was about 13th in line. They let in about 20 people because they had the reps to do so, and supposedly there is suppose to be 2 lines, ones with pre-orders and those without them. However, they do not take the pre-order phones from the walk-in phones. Of course they have limited stock so if you want a phone, be there early. I'm planning on being there around midnight if not earlier for this phone to be close to the front. That way if there are walkins, i know there wont be 20 of them at 7AM making we wait another iteration of customers to come in.

TLDR: If you get there early enough you'll have no problem getting a phone.

9. anitrajw macrumors regular

If you get to the Apple store early enough you should be able to walk out with one. I recommend arriving 1-2 or even 3 hours before stores open.;)

10. Orange™ thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot for those of you who helped!

JustinP81
    Dchip24
    JohnnyQuest
    Maverick1337
    anitrajw

Thanks for the kindness! :)

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I would say that it is POSSIBLE you could walk out with one, but I would not think your odds are as good as some people have suggested. I base that on my experience with the prior releases. There were people who waited in the non-reserved line for upwards of 10 hours and walked away empty handed with the release of the 3g.
    On the other hand, I know several people who waited 2-3 hours at a different Apple Store and walked away with a phone.
    But there are SO many variables that it is impossible to say- do you live near a number of Apple :apple: Stores? How many people who reserved to that particular store actually show up? etc. One question to ask yourself is whether or not you have the whole day to kill because it might be that is what happens. And you still may not walk out with a phone, particularly if the numbers being claimed by Apple and AT&T are close to the mark.
    Good luck, though and I hope it works out for you!:)

12. EvanCooper93 macrumors member

Can you walk into an AT&T store and get one by any chance? :eek:

13. irish1313 macrumors member

I talked to my Att corp store today, and they are "expecting"1 case of each size for walkins. 10 to a case. He said he was'nt supposed to say, but I was pressing pretty hard.

14. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

my daughter going with me...We have one resereved and standing in line for hers...We will be there super early...I think will be similiar to ipad. Apple will have tons I bet....Many walked into apple store and got ipads right away with like 5 min w8