Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
I would like to record my heartrate ( while biking, etc ) on my iPhone 4. I was originally under the impression that I need to purchase an adapter to enable this option ( along with a heartrate sensor ), but was told today that the iPhone 4 natively supports Ant+. That would imply I just need an Ant+-ready app and a sensor to wear.

Unfortunately, I can't find confirmation of this anywhere.

Does anyone know for certain?

tia,
Bill

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The only native support built into iOS for external sensors is for Nike+iPod. Never heard of Ant+ before today...

stofferdk

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
would be really interesting to know! As far as I know the Nike+ utilizes ANT+ dosn't it?

I rely heavily on ANT+ for all my sports/health equipment from Garmin etc. While a possible ANT+ chip in the iphone 4 might be locked to Nike, to possibilities with cydia could be awesome

bunger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
I will have to ask him again then, because my finding was the same - there was/is no native Ant+ support. Though he insists he uses his polar HRM with his iPhone4 and without an adapter...

Torresangel88

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

Instant heart rate app

sgdnfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Wahoo fitness

Unfortunately it does not.

I had to buy an external ANT+ sensor that plugs into the iPhone dock. This is the one I bought (which is a kit, but you can buy the sensor separately):

https://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Run-Pack.asp

I've had it for a couple of weeks and it seems to work pretty well. I'm using it with RunKeeper Pro, and also using JayBird bluetooth headphones for my runs. I also bought the Wahoo fitness armband. It holds both the phone and the sensor without any issues.

The only thing I wish RunKeeper had was audio notifications for the BPM of your heart rate. Otherwise, it is pretty cool seeing your heart rate while you work out.

Hopefully this helps.

I would like to record my heartrate ( while biking, etc ) on my iPhone 4. I was originally under the impression that I need to purchase an adapter to enable this option ( along with a heartrate sensor ), but was told today that the iPhone 4 natively supports Ant+. That would imply I just need an Ant+-ready app and a sensor to wear.

Unfortunately, I can't find confirmation of this anywhere.

Does anyone know for certain?

tia,
Bill

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Unfortunately it does not.

I had to buy an external ANT+ sensor that plugs into the iPhone dock. This is the one I bought (which is a kit, but you can buy the sensor separately):

https://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Run-Pack.asp

I've had it for a couple of weeks and it seems to work pretty well. I'm using it with RunKeeper Pro, and also using JayBird bluetooth headphones for my runs. I also bought the Wahoo fitness armband. It holds both the phone and the sensor without any issues.

The only thing I wish RunKeeper had was audio notifications for the BPM of your heart rate. Otherwise, it is pretty cool seeing your heart rate while you work out.

Hopefully this helps.

I recently changed over to Runkeeper from the Nike+GPS app because Nike sucks and kept taking features away (current pace is the main one causing me issues) and they have no earthly idea how to create a website.

I use the SB2s from Jaybird and saw the heart rate monitor info in Runkeeper. I have looked into the exact setup you are using and just wanted any info you have about how well it works. I assume it is fully integrated and you can see your heart rate listed by the place in your run for later review? THe descriptions at Wahoo don;t say much about how to set it up. I assume its "just works"?

Boen

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
So it doesn't give you audio info? That's kinda dumb.

sgdnfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Sorry just saw this now...

You are correct -- the heartrate data is stored at Runkeeper and you can check it out after your run (it is overlaid on the graph of your run). Kinda cool... gives you your average HR at the end.

Kinda bumed out about the lack of audio cues for heart rate... would love it if when you touch the iPhone you heard your heart rate in addition to your average pace, time, etc.

I recently changed over to Runkeeper from the Nike+GPS app because Nike sucks and kept taking features away (current pace is the main one causing me issues) and they have no earthly idea how to create a website.

I use the SB2s from Jaybird and saw the heart rate monitor info in Runkeeper. I have looked into the exact setup you are using and just wanted any info you have about how well it works. I assume it is fully integrated and you can see your heart rate listed by the place in your run for later review? THe descriptions at Wahoo don;t say much about how to set it up. I assume its "just works"?

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Kinda bumed out about the lack of audio cues for heart rate... would love it if when you touch the iPhone you heard your heart rate in addition to your average pace, time, etc.

I use Runmeter. I chose it over runkeeper because it allows me to export my data. I don't currently have an ANT+ monitor but I am thinking about getting one. The last update from Runmeter says:

"ANT+ SUPPORT FOR HEART RATE MONITORS, BIKE SPEED, AND BIKE CADENCE
6.0 adds support for the Wahoo Fitness ANT+ system (purchased separately), allowing heart rate monitors and speed/cadence cycling sensors to be employed for performance measurement and feedback. Unlike other apps that only record sensor data for later analysis, our app provides a deep implementation and real-time feedback. For example, calories are calculated using heart rate and VO2Max data. Cycling distance, speed, and stop detection are calculated using sensor data. Target announcements can be set based on this information."

So it sounds like you will be able to get target announcements based on HR. I hope so :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.