antec notebook cooler for macbook

somabc

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2006
16
0
vega07 said:
http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/antec/notebookcooler/p1.htm

Do any macbook users have this cooler? I hear it's a great cooling system but might not be good for a macbook because it scratches the bottom of the macbook. Is this true?
Hi, I have used this cooler with a PC notebook and it does a great job of keeping it cool, its made of metal so I guess it could scratch your macbook but I never experienced any scratches on the plastic base of my PC
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Its top is a thin metal sheet. Also, when they punch holes on that sheet during the production, the edges of those holes are not too smooth. So, it's possible it may scratch your mac.

I have that model. But, I have not used it that much. The thing about it is your notebook needs to be raised off the top surface of the cooler by itself to facilitate the air flow. With those little legs of my PB and iBook, my Macs do not provide enough clearance on that cooler's surface.

I went with the Targus' chill pad (a USB powered unit). That one has the "raisers" on the unit itself so that I don't have to worry about the air flow.
 

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
19,269
30
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You could put electrical tape around the edges if you are worried about it. You might also look into Spire's Pacific Breeze cooler- it's not a pad but more of a wedge. You can't use it on your lap though. However, it's only $20 and works very well.
 

vega07

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
1,248
11
how well the macbook stay on the cooler? will it slide around a lot? if it doesn't slide or move around, then there's really no worry...yeah?
 

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
312
60
Home
vega07 said:
how well the macbook stay on the cooler? will it slide around a lot? if it doesn't slide or move around, then there's really no worry...yeah?
Unless its a slippery surface, the pads on the bottom of the macbook will stop it from moving.
 

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
1,955
70
I actually had that exact same cooler becasue my old Peacock laptop really needed it. It's super loud (2 fans) and I only had it on when I was playing 3D stuff that otherwise overheated the mashine. Macbook fits nicely on it, no scratches to fear. But seriously, you don't need it. If you have installed the latest firmware update, the fans keep the CPU below 60°C. Before that, my mashine peaked around 90, then powered down to lower clock speeds.
 

vega07

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
1,248
11
bigrell486 said:
Unless its a slippery surface, the pads on the bottom of the macbook will stop it from moving.
yeah I was just wondering if there are any pads on the bottom of the macbook to prevent it from sliding. thanks!

bigrell486 said:
I actually had that exact same cooler becasue my old Peacock laptop really needed it. It's super loud (2 fans) and I only had it on when I was playing 3D stuff that otherwise overheated the mashine. Macbook fits nicely on it, no scratches to fear. But seriously, you don't need it. If you have installed the latest firmware update, the fans keep the CPU below 60°C. Before that, my mashine peaked around 90, then powered down to lower clock speeds.
I just bought it because it was only ten bucks.