Antenna bands flush?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fandangoxx, Jan 9, 2015.

1. fandangoxx macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6+ and my question is in regards to the antenna bands on the back of the phone.

My bands are slightly raised off the back of the phone, running a finger or nail across the back reveals this.

Is this normal or should they be flush with the metal casing?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well, they should be flush but whether they all are or not is another matter. I use a case, so it wouldn't bother me unduly (unless they stuck out a fair bit and prevented the case from fitting).

3. fandangoxx thread starter macrumors member

They do not stick out that much - but it is noticeable, I've just noticed differences between my model and the display models.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's up to you whether you can live with it or not. To me dead pixels, yellow screens, loose buttons and dust behind the camera glass etc are much more bothersome....and you risk getting a phone with one or more of these faults if you choose to obtain a replacement. If your phone is otherwise perfect, or at least acceptable (mine has a loose mute switch), then I would be tempted to keep it.

5. fandangoxx thread starter macrumors member

I see your point, but paying £789 for something that's not 100% right is not really on. It's such a shame that Apple's replacement policy is so crap.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well, I would say that their replacement policy is probably the best in the business and I'm no fanboy. You can return any item purchased within 14 days for a full refund, even if unboxed and used. It's pretty amazing that they offer that free trial. Plus you can get a refurbished replacement for any fault within the first twelve months (or two years if you have Applecare+).

Having said all that, their QC is pretty bad because they're too big/popular for their own good. These things are churned out and lots seem to have faults. My previous iPhone 5 had to be replaced five times for various faults and the one I ended up keeping had loose buttons, I was just sick of the whole process by that point. I really do think that you have to be pretty lucky to get an iPhone that is perfect in every way. Others will disagree I'm sure, but that's my opinion. Like I said, my 6+ has a loose mute switch but is otherwise good. I decided in a heartbeat to accept the loose switch, knowing what issues a replacement may bring...

I do agree with you. My phone retails at £699 and it should be perfect, at least physically. They are mass-produced items though, and in Apple's case extremely mass-produced!

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The bands are completely off my radar. I'm just thankful that my current 6 is not bent like my last one, and that it doesn't blue screen and reboot like my 6 Plus did.

8. Newtons Apple, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe it'S is crap in your country but Apple is VERY fair on this side of the pond.

9. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I just feel the difference in material. Maybe it is raised but its almost nothing.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They shouldn't look raised to the naked eyes but there's a difference in material and probably depth so it's normal to feel a difference. Being preoccupied over something you can't even see is pretty anal retentive.

11. meistervu macrumors 65816

I once has a glass splinter in my finger. It strange how something that small can cause so much pain. I couldn't see it.

The band doesn't bother me but I can see why someone would bring it up. While you can't see it as being slightly raised, you can feel it. I would argue that for an object that you hold when you use, how it feels in your hand is at least as important as how it looks, and perhaps more so.

That is the reason I much prefer the 6 to my 5 or 4. The sides are soften (no sharp edges) which feels really nice in my hands. The fact that the bands are raised slightly doesn't bother me that much as I don't come into contact with it often and even when I do, it's very slight and cause no discomfort the way the old 4's edges did so to me it's more of a cosmetic thing.

12. techspin macrumors 6502a

One of the replacement 6's I got a chance to look at had slightly raised bands, and I felt them just holding the phone and putting it down. Not a very common issue at least.