Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hey all,

I just recently purchased my iPhone 2 days ago. I am noticing substantial problems with my antenna even with a case on.

I work in downtown, with my 3G I was getting full bars and was able to use my Internet while waiting on the go train in union station. With my 4 I cannot do that as it drops the network completely. Also when at my home I normally get 2/3 bars where as with my old phone I would get 5 no question.

Even when I was quickly bypassing a subway area my old phone would hold onto a signal and the iPhone 4 would loose it.

To my understanding Rogers has a 30 day/15min return policy so I need to make up my decision soon whether or not these problems are unacceptable.

My main concern is that I go to university in London and was worried about service down there. Anyone have experience with iPhone reception in London Ontario.

See if i take my phone to the apple store to get replaced, I would not be able to return it to Rogers.

Anyone else in Canada what are you experiences with the antenna?

Shield

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Canada
I'm with Bell and have found the iPhone 4 has better signal strength and retention than any phone I've had before. Yes I can duplicate the antennagate issue when I deathgrip the phone....it will drop 2 bars. No big deal I think.

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
Thats strange because I am getting a far worse signal than i did before. Don't get me wrong i love my iphone to death and that is why I am so reluctant to return it.

If you don't mind me asking, what weeks are your phones and what cases do you use?

I can get my phone to go to 1 bar with the deathgrip from 4 bars. In addition "with" the case one in my house the signal often drops down to 2 bars without me touching the phone.

AC202

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
I have no case on (only BSE skins over the antennae), and the most I've seen applying the death grip is 2 dropped bars, and takes a long while to drop as well. Never experienced a dropped call either, which is certainly more important than simply dropped bars. I'm with Rogers.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
I was downtown this past weekend with no issues, havent had an issue from waterloo to toronto yet with dropping signal/calls etc. you may have a defective unit. dont compare your old phone's bars to the new phone cuz the old ones are faked anyways

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
Im not merely comparing bars but the speeds of my connection as well. When I sat on the go train parked at union, my signal dropped, i couldn't make a call or browse the net. However, when i was using my old phone, I always sat there browsing and talking on the phone frequently. Even in my house, sitting down, the 3G connection is slower on my 4 than on my 3g when i am at 1 bar. In addition, i frequently get a message popping up stating that there is "no cellular connection"- and when i receive this message I have 3/4 bars. It doesn't make sense.

This phone is going to be my main phone while i am at university as I opted not to get a landline as most students choose not to. I really need the phone to be reliable.

Here is my dilemma, I can return the phone to rogers tomorrow, but then im out an iphone 4. I would like to get it replaced by apple, but do they replace them with refurbished units. This is a new phone and I would only expect I would get a new one in return to see if I got a defective phone. However, if I were to switch my phone at apple and then decide I want to return it, would i be able to? Im asking this because the serial numbers wouldn't match with the box. It seems that once i decide to switch it and try for a replacement, that I have no option to return the phone if it is giving me problems.

Steel28

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I work in downtown Toronto as well, no reception or any other issues with my week 29 16gb.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
I have a week 31 32gb iphone 4 and i'm definitely having problems without a case. With a case, it's about the same as my 3gs in good reception areas. I find in low reception areas, though, it's much worse than the 3gs. I live in Ottawa.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
I'v been in toronto/North York commuting on the subway every day to work and my iphone 4 on the bell network has by far completely surprised me everyday with how great the reception is. My old rogers phone was terrible and never worked properly. I also found that the Rogers 3G network is extremely slow compared to Bell. Bell FTW except for how they bill you.

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
Yea i think i am going to return the phone tomorrow and try again later to see if i can get a better iphone 4

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto
Mine is week 29. I live downtown and I have not dropped a call yet. Internet speed is also fine, and other apps that require a 3G connection run great. I was able to reduce bars using the death grip once when I was at College and Yonge, but I really had to squeeze the phone really hard (not to mention hold it in an unrealistically awkward way), and it wasn't bad enough to drop a call. You should definitely exchange the phone. Nothing to lose, right?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Yea i think i am going to return the phone tomorrow and try again later to see if i can get a better iphone 4

I'm not in Canada but I can tell you that my iPhone 4 has a better signal then my 3GS for sure. You probably did get a bad phone, good luck with your new one once you exchange it.

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
After all your posts I decided to return mine. I did not want to take it to apple and get a refurb as it was only 3 days old. I dont mind waiting and i got this phone by fluke. Someone posted that they were at the eaton center, i work there, went down and picked one up in 20 min. So it was not like i waited in line for hours in an attempt to get a phone.

Well im now stuck with a micro sim and am going to be purchasing an adapter to use with my old 3g. I will try to pick it up from apple eventually but i am in no rush to buy or keep a phone that is giving me problems. Even for 300 dollars I would like a "working" device.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I can replicate the antennagate dropped bars here in alberta on Fido, however call quality is not sacrificed. Only one dropped call for me and that was in a parkade elevator going 2 floors underground =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.