Antenna Issue Not A Problem In Australia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benny08, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Benny08 macrumors member

Benny08

Hey,
    I have bene searching around, talking to alot of people and well here in Australia we do not have the antenna issue that everyone seems to be experiencing on AT&T.

Just thought i would let you know!

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Hmm maybe, maybe not. Maybe Apple just fixed it.

3. beatmag macrumors newbie

OP doesn't know what he is talking about.
    THE SAME PROBLEM EXISTS.

its because people start to feel, there is nothing wrong with dropping bars.......they feel there is no problem. NO.

The problem exists, the problem is REAL.
    The problem wont get FIXED.

If it drops bars when its in your left hand, and not in your right, that is NOT how it should be.

Two options:
    1.Buy it.
    2.Buy something else.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

My iPhone 3GS drops between 10 and 25 dBm when I hold it naturally, in either hand. The iPhone 4 drops 20 dBm according to the Anandtech article... no big deal.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you live in australia? had you tested an aussie iP4 in australia? did you know that we run on different frequencies then the US?

a number of my friends have tested the issue and said they were unable to reproduce it, also a few friends in the UK too.

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

The iP4 are all made the same way, on the same manufacturing line in China. I highly doubt you have NO "death grip" issues and losing signal. Maybe you just have better service and reception than we do.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aka, different frequencies.

8. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm pretty sure just about everywhere in the world runs on a different frequency then the US.

I don't know what the frequency is here in Japan and I don't care enough to look it up, but Japan most definitely has "the problem".

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just to let you know, I have AT&T here in the US, and do not have any problems at all with my iPhone 4. So not "everyone" with AT&T, is having the antenna issues with their iPhone 4. ;)

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm in the UK and I can easily reproduce it when I'm in a place that has poor reception.

photo 1.PNG photo 2.PNG

11. habitant1 macrumors newbie

Aussie here. I'm on Optus living in Brisbane and I consistently drop two bars when I deathgrip (left hand, palm over the gap) the phone, even lightly. Sometimes it's in less than 15s and sometimes it takes over 45s, depending on where I am. I cannot however reproduce the issue with a single fingers, no matter how hard I try.

Tnakfully I don't hold the phone like that when I place calls. but I do sometimes when I'm browsing the phone in general, so it's a bit annoying.

I have only twice been in areas with one single bar coverage and those are the only two places where the deathgrip will actually cause the phone to lose the connection.

I have yet to receive my apple case, but Optus gave me an ultra low en bumper that helps, reducing the loss to one bar at most.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

all places will have the problem as its a design flaw, not a frequency flaw. it might be that they upgrade the australian phones firmware, who knows?

nice evidence there :rolleyes: /jks

edit: oh you have pictures now :p

my friend in the UK couldnt reproduce it no matter what he tried, thats all im saying.

13. Benny08 thread starter macrumors member

Benny08

What im saying is that we are unable to reproduce it in most cases, Yes some and i believe quite alot of people on AT&T dont have it.

What you need to understand is that sometimes items of such nature work differently in different places.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Like I said "when I'm in a place that has poor reception".

I did that test at work and I can repeat it there time and time again. I tried to show one of my friends how it works and there was no way I could reproduce it, even though we were only half a mile from my workplace.

15. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Isn't this normal with phones though with low reception? My 3GS drops I'd say an average of 15 dBm when I hold it naturally, that's about one bar, but it can drop up to 25 which is about two... so, wouldn't the same thing happen with the 3GS if you're in low reception?

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it all depends on the actual signals (attenuation etc), as we know that the bars produced from iOS are incorrect.

it is most certainly wierd that it cant be reproduced everywhere :(

oh and for the record: my nokia e63 losing no bars when i completely smother the phone :D nokia ftw!

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Bars this, bars that, who cares about bars?

All that really matters is weither or not you drop to No Service when holding the phone.

At least here in Japan, I have shown that with 4.0.1 I can go from 5 bars to No Service with a naked iPhone 4 but with a case it's a whole different story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRkOHI2deo&hd=1

That's not attenuation. Attenuation will happen even with the case on...the difference you see is from either making contact or not making contact with the antenna....aka detuning.

18. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I haven't owned a 3GS but I never had any similar problems with my 3G which I had for two years. We've tried to reproduce it with my workmate's 3GS but it still completes the speed test with respectable figures, no matter how tight you grip it.

By the way, when I took those screen shots I was only lightly gripping the phone with one finger bridging the antennae gap.

20. ARSC macrumors 6502

i have two phones which i got from london,

I dont have any issues with them and i am on Vodafone India and Airtel india no problems.

reception in uk is crap my 9700 bold reception was always 1-2 bars and here its always 4-5 bars.

21. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

I just tried this on an iPhone 4 here. Did not drop a single bar. This problem has been blown WAY out of proportion. My Galaxy S dropped a full 4 bars by simply holding it in my left hand, and I usually have full signal in this house.

22. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

In Australia do kangaroos ever hop into the city area or do they stay in the countryside?

Are they friendly? Could you feed them a sandwich?

23. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Where I live you can see them in some area's near town, but big cities they aren't really around, and a particular sports club I go to they are abundant, as are bunnies (although less).

They are as friendly as you are far away, haha, they won't really both you if you don't both them, but if you go to close they'll likely run, or attack you. I got about 5 metres away from two of them, one of them was eating, the other was watching me, then they ran.

24. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Thanks for the info, I have always wanted to pet a kangaroo, but from what you have said they are more likely to hop on me and mug me.

I'll stick to zoo's.

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Haha no worries, they can actually be very dangerous, keeping away in general is a pretty good idea, particularly with mothers, or the big ones.