Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just wait for the next version. A year is nothing. It'll have all the benefits of the iPhone 4 plus no antenna problem.

I would give credence to the rumours that there may be an iPhone 4.x/5 version in January, not necessarily to put this antenna issue aside for good but to move to multiple models or a 6 month refresh.

Things are massively accelerating in the smartphone world what with the plethora of HTC phones coming out and Android is really stepping up with big improvements (look at 2.2 Froyo which has made I understand huge improvements in battery life and speed for models that run it).

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
If you are having trouble replicating the issue try licking your finger than placing it on the gap area. Give it several seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you need to be able to use your phone with a licked finger on the antenna. When ever I have a reception issue (only occurs when I am surfing the web) I stop holding the phone wrong.

Can't wait for my free case but I might not use it in the end because the phone probably won't fit in my car holder.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
I would give credence to the rumours that there may be an iPhone 4.x/5 version in January, not necessarily to put this antenna issue aside for good but to move to multiple models or a 6 month refresh.

Things are massively accelerating in the smartphone world what with the plethora of HTC phones coming out and Android is really stepping up with big improvements (look at 2.2 Froyo which has made I understand huge improvements in battery life and speed for models that run it).

It's possible, but I'm inclined to believe the rumor is likely wishful thinking. 11 months is a short time to wait.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
As much as I would enjoy a new iPhone, I've held out. I am still running a 3G and I've been eligible for an upgrade since March. I figured then I would definetly have an iPhone 4 this summer. I figured that even a year ago. I wanted a white one. If they were released day one with the black, I would have one today. With that delayed and the whole antenna thing, I've been turned off. My 3G still works. It's terribly slow, almost completely out of space and has a broken ringer switch, but it still makes phone calls and it still plays music.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
The antenna issue doesn't work anywhere but the USA. No one in Canada has been able to replicate it, AFAIK.

How much Apple KoolAid did you have?

There are quite a few documented antenna issues on Howard's Forums and on RFD.

To the OP, yes, the issue will be fixed. It is called iPhone 6. Tag line will be " This changes everything. Again. And Again"
:D

anonymouz1828

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009
i had antenna issue & returned

I got iphone 4 and had antenna issue in the end of july.. returned 3 days later. I did not want to keep exchanging but i hope the next 'factory week' release fix with coating or something. I will still get iphone 4 this next week and i will get a case too.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
... including me. If people wouldn't spend time trying to replicate it and just move on I'm sure the issue would become less and less of a problem.

If Jobs would have acted responsibly, instead of using his typically arrogant & flippant response, it would not have ballooned into Antennagate.

Still not satisfied, the self serving CEO turned childish with the stupid refrain "they all do that".

Whether they do or not, the hype man himself puts all Apple products on a pedestal so high, that it drives customer expectations to unreasonable levels.

Apple got what Apple deserved. A headache from the press.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
The fix is it's not a big issue to begin with. You can force a lot of phones to drop signal based on how you hold it

Get the iPhone and see for yourself.

mweiland

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
new hope, pa
the problem exists. it seems to vary in severity depending on the signal in the area. (or any one of about a thousand theorized factors...)

i caused it with one finger in an at&t store a few days ago. it didn't lose signal completely but it did drop from 5 to 2 bars. no idea if or how that would have affected a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.