Antenna issues: Its about business ethics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Jul 2, 2010.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

For those of you who are in denial of the antenna issue, trust me, its a real issue. Many people are reporting antenna issues when held in a natural position left handed. Trusted sites such as Anandtech.com have done in depth analysis that prove its real.

For those of you who are pissed off about it, return the phone. You have 30 days to do so. No one is holding a gun to your head. This is capitalism at its finest. Vote with your dollars. If the phone antenna issue is that big of a deal to you, take it back and buy another phone.

The real issue here is the fact that Apple continues to deny the antenna issue. They released a statement on 7/2/10 simply stating that the antenna status visual was a problem. They didn't even admit the antenna issue. This is clearly unethical behavior.

Business ethics in America have been on the decline for decades now. We all know the whole Enron ordeal, and lets not talk about the sub-prime lending that caused pretty much the whole world to spin. Yeah I know the antenna issue isn't a human rights world wide importance, but this issue is making headlines around the modern world.

As a proud American, I am not pleased with how Apple is handling this issue. I love Apple products. And I also own some stock. I want to see them succeed. But taking lessons from companies that are not ethical and avoid real issues will cause a long term negative effect. Just take a look at GM and Ford. Only recently have they rebounded. But even then, its going to take years for them to take back the lead. And thats a maybe as long as they keep improving the quality and address issues. Had GM and Ford taken a more ethical approach, maybe all of us (American's) would have had to give GM some of our money to keep them afloat.

Monkey see, monkey do. If Apple gets away with this, we'll see a whole new generation of American companies that will have similar business ethics to Apple's. Denying issues and covering up complaints.

If Apple continues to deny these antenna issues, what other issues will they ignore and act unethically about in the future? If Apple doesn't take a more ethical approach, I see nothing but trouble and another black eye for American businesses. As the second largest company in America, I am ashamed at Apples actions. They needs to take more responsibilities for their actions, and own up to their mistake. Thats being a true American.

2. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Heres the problem. Apple is not denying there is an issue with the antenna because really there isnt an issue with it. The issue is with the way you are holding it. The antenna works great, just dont touch the thing. Another argument is not everyone holds it the same way, so there are many that have no problems and actually get better reception than they did with the 3GS.
    As i recall Apple already said if the phone is held a certain way it can effect the antenna just like every other phone on the market.
    I understand why people are pissed and they shouldnt have designed it that way but that is opinion and its not unethical on Apples part. If you dont feel like adjusting the way you hold the phone then take it back and go with something else.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

this has nothing to do with ethics. the problem is people don't like what apple has to say in response but there is nothing ethically wrong with the response it just isn't what people want to hear. they would be unethical if they didn't allow the return but they are, so you have recourse if you are dissatified and not everyone is dissatified

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Newbee OP stop your trolling and IF you have an iPhone take it back and move on.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

They told people to avoid holding the phone at the lower left, covering the antenna.

So...

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Why should we trust you? What have you done thats so great?

7. diabolic macrumors 68000

If Apple maintains that the antenna works as designed, then that's their prerogative. If it's poorly designed, that's not an ethics problem.

8. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yes you're right it is a real issue. The iPhone 4 antenna is more prone to signal attenuation than most other phones.

That said, it was a design decision by Apple to make a slimmer, sleeker phone instead of having a properly functioning antenna. If you don't like this decision then don't buy the phone!

Most people are not experiencing drop offs to the point where they cannot make calls. If you are, I am really sorry. I wish everyone could keep this amazing phone but if it simply doesn't work for you then vote with your wallet and don't buy it!

9. lukin macrumors regular

:)

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

On a totally different note -

You think GM rebounded??? That couldn't be further from the truth.

11. dmelgar macrumors 68000

There is no problem. The issue is with people who unrealistically expect to use their phone to make phone calls.
    Simply give Apple your money, walk around with a pretty phone, but don't use it as a phone.
    If you must be so over the top critical and want to make phone calls, simply return the phone. No problem.

Problem solved. Everybody happy.