Antenna non-issue for most...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prise, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Prise macrumors regular

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20009116-266.html

"It seems that the reported issues with the iPhone 4's antenna have not dampened enthusiasm for the device. Stefani Bennett, also of the Upper West Side, came to the AT&T store at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday to make sure she could get an iPhone 4. She said she wasn't concerned about reports that gripping the lower left-hand corner of the phone might cause reception issues.
    If she discovers it's a problem for her, she said, she'll simply buy a rubber bumper that fits around the device.

'It's not that big of a deal,' she said. 'I've always had crappy reception with my iPhones. I'll just get the bumper. It looks a little tacky, but if I have to, I'll buy it.'"

The average user isn't swayed by the antenna issue, and find no offense in "holding it differently," or "using a bumper guard."

All things being equal, with any device, it's only the enthusiast segment (comprised of roughly 5% of the total market) who demand perfection in a given product.

The average user can tolerate a much wider swing in product variability.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't disagree completely.

But tolerate is the key word there. Just because it's tolerated doesn't make it a non-issue.

3. Prise thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, tolerate would be a better choice of words here. :)

4. ectlu93 macrumors member

ectlu93

i think the antenna issue people are talking about is LUDACRIS! there are videos all over youtube of ppl who have upgraded a 3gs to ios4 and they are having the same issues....so in my mind i think its a bug with the ios4 not the iphone...PEOPLE JUST LET IT GO ALREADY! ! !

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Um no. But thanks for your hysterical rant. Color me amused.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I prefer holding my phone when I'm using it, hence the issue.

7. diabolic macrumors 68000

It probably makes it a less critical issue for most, but I'm more likely to be tolerant in the short term waiting for resolution of a problem, rather than perpetually tolerant of it.

If I was experiencing more dropped calls with my iPhone 4, I'd definitely be complaining. I'm generally getting better reception than I had with my 3GS.

I do hope it gets figured out for those with the problems.

8. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I happy to hear it just might be the OS since it's affecting 3gs too. I really don't use my iphone as a phone much. I don't really like to talk on the phone but it happened today. Call was dropping in and out then failed in a place i never had trouble before with my 3g. Very frustrating. My hand wasn't even near the bottom left.:( Since i'm not on the phone much, i haven't really tested it out but today was my first bad experience.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is what happens when rappers can't spell. :)

It's easy to say let it go, if you're able to make a call. For those who can't, not so much.

10. Prise thread starter macrumors regular

You clearly aren't in the 5% of the enthusiast segment.

11. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Sight. I have better quality calls and no dropped calls with the iPhone 4. So what is the fuzz about some bars in my screen that are there (or not) as long as it works??
    Outside the US I haven't read much about it, I myself have a non-locked on a superb network and no problem at all. Data is speedy as it was never before and I'm seriously less using my iPad. (darn, I didn't
    get my iPad to keep it laying around :) )

But of all those people who had an iPhone before, who can say that they have worse call quality and more dropped calls?? If so it might be the first time buyers 30% of the
    1.7mln that are clogging the AT&T network

12. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Really?

[​IMG]

He seems to be more an "issue" for AT&T Blackberries judging by that photo. I'm not a fan of his music, but I guess if he was my iPhone antenna, that would get mighty inconvenient for both of us. :rolleyes:

14. zoman504 macrumors regular

I had an iPhone previously and I am currently seeing significantly more dropped calls in the exact same areas. This isn't user error or a case of people not being used to owning iPhones. This is a huge issue, hopefully it's just software, bc like others have stated, I'd like to be able to hold my phone while talking on it.

15. sadievan macrumors regular

Did you have a 3GS? If so, what software version was it?