Antenna problem doesnt affect FaceTime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by don pianta, Jun 28, 2010.

1. don pianta macrumors regular

I just tested out a facetime call with my friend and i purposefully held the phone on the antenna separators and i did not lose any video quality or disconnect.

you can feel free to try it yourself because i did not feel it was necessary to videotape something that can be easily replicated.

I guess that means that the call requires no cellular data? (either that or holding the phone "wrong" really doesnt do anything)

(also anyone who says that the people in the FaceTime commercials are holding the phone wrong might need to try a facetime call while holding it normally)

2. Wailord macrumors 6502

3. don pianta thread starter macrumors regular

yes i know, but people have been saying that everyone in all of the facetime commercials are holding the phone wrong... and i just wanted to let them know that they were not.

4. Wailord macrumors 6502

Ah, I haven't seen anyone complaining about that. Must be lost in the myriad of threads about how Apple's part of the New World Order and purposely created the antenna issue to sell $30 cases. :rolleyes:

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Thinking it would affect FaceTime is like thinking it will affect your game of Words With Friends.

I haven't seen any threads like that either.

6. don pianta thread starter macrumors regular

there are no 'thread-specific' topics about it, but i've seen people bashing the new facetime commercials because they are holding the phone wrong. which then leads them to believe they're entitled to a free bumper case.

it's really just annoying

7. jtara macrumors 65816

Well, you might potentially affect FaceTime calls if you are a rightie.

The strange thing about the claims that holding the phone the wrong way "shorts the two antennas together" is that it doesn't.

The left-hand strip is the cell antenna.

The right-hand strip is the WiFi antenna.

The bottom strip is - just a hunk of metal. But, perhaps grounded. And grounding either antenna would be.... bad.

8. Peaugh macrumors regular

Yeah, try covering up the gap on top of the phone and watch your wifi signal disappear just like the cell signal on the left side.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Where did you get that info? In the keynote when he was explaining things, he showed a picture where the left strip is for WiFi/BT/GPS and the entire rest of the strip is UMTS/GSM. The right bottom band is just cosmetic to match the left side where there really is a break in the antenna.