Antenna Problem is related to network saturation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanocustoms, Jun 24, 2010.

1. nanocustoms macrumors regular

Hi Guys

I am also experiencing the antenna problem and am convinced it is probably able to be fixed with software.

When you are in an area where the saturation isnt as great, you get into a situation where Antenna A is tuning into 1 tower and Antenna B is tuning into another tower (or part of the spectrum). What the software is doing is comparing signals between antenna A and B and theres a "tug of war" with the stronger signal winning. This is the signal strength that is indicated is for the tower/spectrum you are tuned into.

When you physically connect the two antennas (human body conducts electricity, but not that great), it takes time for the bridge to occur, and when it does, 2 antennas become 1.

My coworker and I are experiencing the issues that some of us are with signal dropping in and out when we are at HOME.

At the office tho, where network saturation is higher, we are unable to replicate this behavior.

I am hoping that this is similar to "interference robustness" that they had on older airport models under leopard and tiger. Hopefully a fix will come out soon and it will be a matter of flipping a switch.

Can anyone else who has these issues replicate it in different locations with the same results? Maybe those who have the issue have a real issue vs. a software issue.

anyways, its my 0.02. Im not an expert in radio communications by any means.

HTH

Chris

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

This fact may not totally invalidate your hypothesis, but only one antenna is used for cell purposes, the other is for BT/GPS/WiFi only.

3. N1CKOLAS macrumors newbie

I'd like to assume Apple (or really any company for that matter) designed arguably the most important part of the device (the antenna) correctly. We need some more people trying the service dropping tests in a variety of areas. I predict that, like you suggested, results will vary greatly.

4. nanocustoms thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification on the left side.

From gadget venue

"You might have noticed that there are 3 gaps in the stainless steel band that wraps around the edges of the iPhone. These are not a design flaw, but rather a feature of the phone that separates the stainless steel band in to three sections that makes the whole structure of the phone act as antenna. The left side section of band handles the GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity while the right side band and lower band (that also stretches over the top of the device) handles UMTS and GSM connectivity. Having the whole structure of the phone act as an antenna should hopefully give a stronger signal and hence, fewer dropped calls or fewer "searching" messages that often show up in the status bar."

So we know that the left side isnt GSM/UTMS.

Sorry, this is realtime rambling, but isnt the wifi frequency also the same frequency that causes water to wobble, and therefore heat up like a microwave?

Maybe all the radio power is getting absorbed when we touch this part?

Keep them coming.

It still seems to be network saturation dependent. A design ISSUE, but not sure if its a flaw yet if the software can be properly tuned/adjusted.

GL to all

Chris

5. trillville macrumors newbie

I'm also no expert, but does touching the bottom left corner of the phone interrupt wifi/bluetooth signal as well? If it's an issue with the 2 antennas combining, shouldn't it interrupt more than just the cell signal?

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You could still be correct in some fashion. The bottom left portion of the stainless steel band below the lower left rubber seam is still a part of the cell phone antenna. I touch just that part, cell phone signal is fine. The issue comes to when my finger touches both the cell phone antenna and Wi-Fi/GPS/Bluetooth antenna is when the signal drops.

As seen in this picture.

[​IMG]

Now if this can be solved via software, I do not know

7. nanocustoms thread starter macrumors regular

My argument is that it is network saturation related. ie, i cannot duplicate it at work when i have full bars (right by a freeway) at home, i can when i am in areas that intuitively seem to me would have less signal (inside corners away from windows, etc).

I think a software tug of war begins once things arent that clear, like 2 towers/spectrum that are pretty close to each other in quality/strength or other metrics.

I have yet to reproduce it at work, but can reproduce it readily at home. Anyone else running apple gear at home, ie airports, etc?

HTH

Chris

8. amini1 macrumors newbie

Interesting you say that. My wife's 3GS was upgraded to OS4 last night. Her drive to and from school today on a major road (the A3 outside London) showed searching the whole time. Normally it's 3G the whole way. She's on the 3 network.

9. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you. At home, I'm roughly 1.3 miles away from the closest AT&T tower. However, at work, there's an AT&T tower roughly 300 yards from the back of my building, and there are 3 other towers within a mile or so from the building. I'm unable to reproduce this issue anywhere in my office building, but am able to do so at home.

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Some day... who knows when... Apple will learn how to make a phone that works. Until then this is the best advertising for all the great Android phones that actually work... :)

Steve Jobs does know how to sell accessories , I ordered a Bumper with my phone and I'm still waiting. Now there's profit taking if I've ever seen it.