Antenna problems ? Could you check something ? Antenna bridge, wi-fi affected ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leez, Jul 14, 2010.

1. leez macrumors regular

leez

Hi,

as I'm still deciding if I want to go with iP4 and see people with and without this antenna problem - could you do something for me ?

In the keynote, Apple showed built of the antenna:

[​IMG]

Could someone with or without the antenna problem:

1. switch off bluetooth, wi-fi and gps and try to replicate the issue.
    2. switch on bluetooth, wi-fi and gps and try to replicate the issue.
    3. switch on everything separately and try to replicate the issue.

EDIT:
    4. while holding it "the problematic way", do you loose your wi-fi connection ? speedtest.net app could help.

Keep the connection to your network alive.

Any results ? Thanks.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. Problem persists
    2. Problem persists
    3. Problem persists

3. swoods93631 macrumors regular

Umm I think the OP said "WITHOUT" the problem

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not according to the thread's title.

5. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

All the videos showing the issue have iP4 with wi-fi enabled. As the wi-fi, bluetooth and gps use the different part of the antenna, when you switch them off - this part shouldn't be used.

So another question. Could you please check if while holding it "the problematic way", do you loose your wi-fi connection ? speedtest.net app could help. Thanks.

6. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

OP asked for "with and without antenna problems". Which boat are you in?

7. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Sorry, my mistake. With OR without the problem.

8. Sledutah macrumors regular

Same here.
    I would hold off buying one to see if the software is going to fix it.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Bridging the antennas isn't the issue I though it was bridging the seam for the bottom

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Which is bridging the antenna.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No it's not. There is a seam either side of the phone.

12. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I believe it has been said that the seam on the right is for aesthetics only.

Also, even with WiFi off, you're still changing the antenna's characteristics. The design flaw is that you have to touch the antenna to use it. That's where much of the problem lies. Have you ever seen any phone that you touch the antenna when you hold it? There's a reason for that. Because it's a BAD idea.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Just seen on the ifixit teardown that it is indeed cosmetic. I do not have the issue with the bumper on or off tbh.

14. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Shouldn't the wi-fi/bluetooth/gps signal be affected as well ?

I still think, that this problem is more PR problem than the actual antenna. My personal opinion.

Don't know if it's the antenna that he's touching, but same situation. As in many other devices. (see video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

Do anyone know what actually happens when you bridge these two antennas ? And what if one is not used (wi-fi/bt/gps off) ? Doesn't the bridging simply extend the other one ? And with wi-fi/bt/gps on - doesn't it then make a conflict, as it catches other frequencies ? My basic knowledge in this part of physics :) tells me, that switching one off should remove the problem...

15. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

WiFi and Bluetooth aren't affected as much because the signal is much more powerful and local. As for GPS, I'm not sure if it works just as well holding it or not... Haven't tried it.

My freshman year of college, we had a professor come in and talk to us about antennas. He has a room that is 'signal-proof' and all. Very cool stuff, but that's not what I want to discuss.

Here's what I got out of his presentation. Basically, an antenna is tuned to a specific frequency. When you touch the antenna, it changes the characteristics of the antenna.

When you "bridge the gap," it's a pretty conductive bridge as your body has a lot of salt in it, and salt is a GREAT electrolyte, meaning that your body is a great conductor, especially if you have clammy/sweaty hands. With such a small gap, the resistance drops significantly, so the phone has to output more power to try to communicate through your body as well as through the other antenna. Also, even with the other equipment off, when you bridge the gap, there is still circuitry that the GSM radio must work through that brings the overall effective power of the radio down. At least that's my understanding.

I can't think of a good way to explain this. If anyone understands what I'm trying to explain and can think of a good way to explain it, please do.