Antenna/reception questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 064629009, Aug 12, 2010.

1. 064629009 macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4 when they restock (I live in Canada), but i'm concerned about the antenna issue...is it even really an issue? Secondly, I heard that Bell has much better reception over Rogers, is this true? Because Rogers has better student pricing (although I think Bell would match the pricing). Thanks, and I hope i'm posting this in the right board.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

It depends on where you live. In a big city you wouldn't notice the antenna problem. But in areas where you have spotty coverage you'll notice it.

In a big city both networks (Rogers and Bell/Telus) have great coverage so I wouldn't be worried about who has better or worse coverage they all have great coverage in the big cities.

I'm in Toronto and with Rogers and never had any problems with my iPhone 4. The lowest I get is 1 bar and it is very common to see 5 full bars, never a dropped call, and this is without any protector or case. I'm just using it normally, but even if I were to grip it the lowest it gets is 1 bar never zero or searching.

3. halisray macrumors regular

go with Bell - I have them with Bell and they are great.. people say retentions are bad.. but just reason with them.. but then again I have TV/internet/home phone with bell so I had some leverage lol

4. msubugzy macrumors member

the way it has been looking is that iPhone 4 is both better or worse depending on where you live. If you live in a decent reception area it's great. If you live in a poor reception area to begin with it will magnify it.

Example: Where I live I get great reception even in my parking garage (on my 3GS) and my friend who has an iPhone 4 has the same experience when they come over....however when we both visit our friend who lives 2 miles down the road I get a weak signal that I can't sometimes use to call people and getting email takes forever, and my iPhone 4 friend can't get a signal at all.

So basically it will depend where you live. (yeah i know that was a long way to go for that short of an answer).

5. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

It comes down to this:

Are you going to protect your ALL GLASS PHONE with a PROTECTIVE CASE?
    Yes? Then yes, get the iPhone 4. It is miles better than pretty much anything out there, other than some of the Droid phones.

6. Macnator macrumors 6502

I live outside of Toronto and Rogers reception has been fantastic. Everywhere I go Rogers is great. Fast speeds, great reception and coverage. The iPhone 4's antenna improves reception to an extent as well.

I have a case on my iPhone 4 and it solves the antenna issue. I covered up the spot with my finger and did a speed test and it was very slow (500Kbps down and 100Kbps up), I put the case back on and it shot up to 3.5Mbps down and 3Mbps upload, so a case does in fact solve it.