Antenna reception worse after 4.0.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thenumbersrbad, Jul 20, 2010.

1. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I understand that bars are now displayed different and I wasn't getting the signal that I was showing but it doesn't make sense to me how I can get 5 bars at home still with 4.0.1 but drive a mile to work and I can watch my bars dance all morning but never reach 4-5 bars.

If apple is saying the antenna is better than the 3GS are they now also saying that I wouldn't have any reception with my old 3GS at my job?

I'm thinking there might be something up with my phone but is there any way tell without going to apple for a diagnostic test? Will they even look at it?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

You say you understand the fix they put out for the incorrect number of bars being displayed but then ask why you are only seeing 3-4 bars when before you had 5 bars?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I rarely get 5 bars now but don't lose all reception anymore. Only time it gives me issues is the pesky NO SIM message.

5. peach23 macrumors newbie

Me too

Since i updated my iphone i only get 3 bars at my home when i used to get a full signal, no matter where i go now i never get a full signal and mostly have only 3 bars and when on a call it can drop to one bar but i never drop a call, on the up side it holds on to the 3g network for a lot longer which is great for the internet

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i get between 4-5 bars now on Rogers.

i always had 5 before. i don't care as long as i can make a damn call.

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

+1

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The actual signal strength the phone is getting is EXACTLY the same as before. Apple could change it to show 5 bars, 1 bar or no bars at all. The graphical representation of bars means nothing. They simply changed the formula that calculates the amount of bars displayed on your screen to something they felt was more accurate.

9. Sean006 macrumors 6502

IMO this whole " we used the wrong calculation " is a crok...

pretty much everyone i know is hating this update....your gonna tell me that ATT every where is only 3 bars good... I just got a 32gb on friday and i refuse to do this upgrade...i did it to my 16gb IP4 before i traded up and it was ten times worse, never did it have 5bars...calls were dropping faster and sometimes i could not even redial, before the update in my house was fine...

since i did not do the update to the 32gb its been working great...again this is just what i have noticed and at least 10 of my friends...

ps
    if your going to flame move onto another thread and waste your breath there...
    :D

10. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

The whole reason I'm asking is because they say the antenna is a lot better now...a lot better compared to what? If I have an iPhone 3Gs am I gonna have no signal at all now? If this ip4 antenna is a lot better at getting a signal, then if I was still using my 3Gs I prolly wouldn't be able to make any calls

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The iPhone 4 antenna is better then the 3gs. I can verify that based on my own experience in not so great signal areas. It gets slightly better reception. The software update has nothing to do with it though. Your 3gs will still have the exact same signal as it did before, although with the software update they may display the bars differently, that does not effect the actual signal strength.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3-4 bars > 1-2 bars

Why do you assume that 3-4 bars being better means that the 3Gs would have no signal?

13. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Well if that is the case I would rather have apple lie to me, would make me feel better about the signal

14. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Well if that is the case I would rather have apple lie to me, would make me feel better about the signal

15. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I understand that they didn't change the signal strength, what I'm saying is that if the ip4 get 3 bars( even if it always should have gotten 3 but was displayed wrong) is the 3GS now on 4.0.1 also going to now show 3 bars? If the antenna is better on the ip4 will the 3GS now show 1-2 bars?

Anyway it doesn't really matter, I think there are people on this site that would buy an iPhone if apple came out and said hey we have this new phone and it's gonna change everything but you only have a 1 hour window to make calls on it and the rest of the time you can't

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Since each bar is a range of signal strength, that would depend on if the difference is with or outside of that bars range.

Why don't you find someone with a 3Gs, check, and report back?

17. thenumbersrbad thread starter macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

so all in all if I was getting 1-2 bars somewhere before, will I still get 1-2 bars there with 4.0.1 or will I now have no bars because I prolly didn't have that many bars to begin with?

If that's the case that will suck, as my girlfriends family has a cabin on a lake with shoddy service but I was at least able to get service but now I'm afraid I won't since the bars weren't displayed accurately before

My gf has a 3Gs and I will be able to test out that theory when she is back in two weeks.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not worst or any better.
    Its still a hardware issue that can be addressed with a case.
    You're just seeing less bars and slightly different size bars thats all.

19. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

strangely, mine stayed the same.

5 bars at home went to 5 bars, with 1 bar loss with death grip

3 bars at work went to 3 bar, with 1 bar loss with death grip

20. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Once again, the bars have nothing to do with it. You might just be better off if you put a piece of tape over them.

If you had service before, you still will.

If you did not have service before, you still won't.

Actual service and reception DID NOT change. A little picture on your phone is all that changed. Nothing else.