Antennae issue -- should I install my zagg?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msduncan, Jun 26, 2010.

1. msduncan macrumors 6502

So I have my invisible shield. However, I am getting the antennae issue.

I've heard the following reports and misinformation:

1. It's a software issue that will be fixed in an update
    2. Some phones are missing a coating on that part that causes the issue
    3. There will be no software or hardware fix, so get a bumper

As you can guess, I do not want to install my $25 zagg shield unless I'm sure there is not going to be reason to get Apple to replace this phone. Should I wait on installing it, or is it pretty certain that I wouldn't be able to get a replacement for the phone (or will a software update fix it)?

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Wait a few more days.

3. levpa05 macrumors member

I have faith the software will address it. I believe the signal isn't truly as bad as the bars indicate but because of the software glitch the phone assumes there's no signal and ends the call.

Also, Me and my wife both had the same issue, we purchased cases and once the case was on signal was not affected buy holding the bottom left corner.

I still think you should wait, $25 is $25 and I would want to be sure.

4. msduncan thread starter macrumors 6502

Regarding it not being as bad as the bars indicate... I thought that as well, but then downloaded speed test from the app store.

If you do a speed test while holding the spot in question to replicate the problem, you will see your speeds surfing the net go from >1000kbs down to >100kbs while you are holding that spot. Many times the upload speed is so bad it doesn't register on the speed test app.

5. stphnman20 macrumors regular

4.0.1 is coming out.. Hopefully that will fix the problem. But, I still would put the zagg on for protection.

6. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

Someone else suggested that it's cause by the antenna not shifting to a different band when the current one is compromised, in which case it could be solved by a software update.

I've also heard that it might be something to do with the antenna not receiving enough power when the signal is weaker. This makes sense, especially when you consider that Apple were presumably messing around with power consumption to allow multitasking to work without draining the battery too quickly with iOS 4.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think the software fix is BS/PR. People's calls DROP, that is not just a misinterpretation of the signal, it's a LOST signal. I am so glad mine doesn't have problems.

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

If the phone thinks you have no signal, thats just as good as having no signal. Unless you're both an electrical engineering expert, wireless communications expert, and computer engineer, I think its safe to say we can at least wait to see what the update does.

Also Zagg will send you a brand new shield if you get your phone replaced, its just like $1.50 shipping or something.

9. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

I get the dbm meter on my iPhone 4 after I restored it from my previous jail broken 3GS backup. My signal strength goes from -69 to -113 when I put my palm in the lower left corner.

I have also noticed that -113 is actually 2 bars now. Used to be 1 bar.